Earthworms

cweg

Arachnopeon
Has any one ever tried to feed earthworms to a T. I read somewhere that burrowers like them in the wild. I was wondering if T's develope a taste for certain foods in captivity. To get to the point i tried to feed my King Baboon who is feeding well an earthworm and it didn't seem to know what to do with it.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I have heard of some people doing it, but in general, it's hit or miss if the T will take them or not. If you do try it, do NOT use wild caught worms as they generally have very high pesticide levels from ingesting them. It may not be apparent with the first one eaten, but subsequent feedings of them may put your T at risk.

Scott

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aren't earthworms the type of worms that will become two worms if you cut them in half?

If so, wouldn't it suck if the T bit it and then half of it broke off and burrowed? lol.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had a male T. blondi that took earthworms.Actually he never broke them in half but it takes forever for them to die. I don't know if the venom doesn't work well on earthworms, or if it had something to do with the worms circulatory system(?)but he would have eaten half the worm and the rest was still moving.As far as long term nutritive value I can't say because he was mature when I discovered he would eat them.

John

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
Aren't earthworms the type of worms that will become two worms if you cut them in half?

If so, wouldn't it suck if the T bit it and then half of it broke off and burrowed? lol.
That's a myth, when they break in half, only the front half (with the head) can survive. So in theory a T could bite one end off and the other end goes burrowing...:?

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
You may actually be thinking of flatworms, like planaria. Or better yet, tapeworms, where each segment can start a new worm.

Bryan