Early instars/offering food

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At what stage do you begin offering food to the newly hatched slings? Mine have just molted from eggs w/ legs to tiny white spiderlings that have become mobile.

Botar

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hold off on feeding until I seperate the slings into their individual homes. At this point, I think it would be safe to start seperating them any time now, but you could also leave them together for another few weeks without problems. So basically, it's up to you....

Just offer one tiny cricket at first--sometimes they're not sure what to do with their "meal" :D

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you could take a large cricket and squish it into a pulpish ball, drop it in, see if they congragate towards it.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. I think I'm going to move the ones that seem quite mobile and leave the others for a while. I've already offered smooshed goods with mixed results.

Botar

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What speices of babies do yo0u have botar???

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got about 40 G. rosea I was able to salvage from the mother attempting to eat the egg sack. They've just molted from eggs w/ legs to 1st instar in the last few days.

Botar

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Congrats Charles! (or would you rather me call you Botar? lol.) That is great that you still saved 40 lives! Its going to be hard feeding them, it is hard for me to feed my 1/4" A.geniculata, THAT is SMALL! hehehe! Anyway, Good Luck and i hope the feeding process goes along well!

James