E. murinus + mites

Maurelius

Arachnopeon
I fed my E. murinus today and pulled out the remains of a small mealworm I fed it yesterday just to see if it would like them (I don't think it did). I noticed there were lots of little small white specs moving around. I am assuming these are mites.

Will rehousing be enough to rid the plague from the T's cage or are there other, better steps that can be taken? Are they actually mites? I lack a magnifying glass to get more descriptive than "very small, white, large abdomened."

Are mites more commonplace in wet/damp T enclosures than bone dry ones?

Are mites "contagious"; will they be likely to spread? (Personally, I figured they wouldn't since they wouldn't want to leave damp environs or whatever they have now. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Any information that you guys can grant me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very tight on time right now, so it's easier for me to read specific posts as opposed to search many, many threads and posts.

Much thanks,
Maure

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They could be springtails. Drying out the cage and changing the water (if any provided) frequently should thin out their numbers. If you disturb them and they jump, then they are springtails, which are harmless scavenging insects. They tend to be irritating to look at, but they are very unlikely to harm anything. A microscope would help greatly; do you have a magnifying glass?

Last edited:

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Mites

Watch out for moss from landscape garden places and superworms containers.
I now sit the worm container on paper with fly spray on it when feeding my T's

Both of these have been a source of unwanted little intruders.

Regards
Steve