Dynastes tityus grubs!

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just an update:

their tank ran out of hardwood mulch and it took me FOREVER to get more (and it wasn't for a lack of trying). poor guys! i had to keep offering them dog food until i got the shipment.

anyway, i just re-did their substrate with a clean, sterilized 1:1 of organic compost and rotten wood mulch, well soaked and packed tight for digging. i counted 23-24 big grubs during the relocation (two of them a bit behind the others in size... one actually had some of his legs chewed off by the bigger grubs :( )

besides being hungry, everyone seems fine. hopefully they'll munch away and their adult size won't be too stunted. :wall:

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey kitty, i see u had the adults for a while, how big of a stink do they make? I know what u mean about missing them, i raise cecropia moths and im really missing them, both the adult stage and there very cool looking caterpillars.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't remember any stink from my adults. as long as you can get used to the "earthy" smell of the substrate (it's right next to our couch, so it tends to be weird for new people coming over), there's no real smell. :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
hey kitty, i see u had the adults for a while, how big of a stink do they make?
This seems like such an off-the-wall question (and I'm pretty sure you asked it before on her other tityus thread). Where is it coming from? Anytime someone posts info on an insect people don't ask about stink making (some species have strong defensive odors but not rhinos anyway).

just an update:

besides being hungry, everyone seems fine. hopefully they'll munch away and their adult size won't be too stunted. :wall:
They should be fine if a little small, your stock has been in captivity since 95' so it's a lot better adapted to captive conditions.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my grubs hatched September of 2006, are enormous in size, but have yet to turn into adults. Literature says up to 2 yrs b4 they change overe. Here's poppa D.t.

Last edited:

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i probably did ask before and just forgot, college is taking up all my brain space so until it lets out for summer my mind will be shot. I think i'll try to order some tityus beetles since i dont think i can legally get the dynastes hercules beetles.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the first ones have already gone through pupation and "hatched" into early adults. right now i have 1 female and 2 males. a third male died shortly after emerging and another 2 pupae died/rotted.

i went through the tank again and there are 17 grubs left from the beginning 23. i'm going to go ahead and individually house each of the remaining grubs. the adults aren't very large, and i know this is due to a period where they had little rotten mulch in the substrate.

anyway, wanted to give an update. :)

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry to hear that your have reduced size. I got ahold of a wild male and bought a female. They mated atleast twice and she was put into a 10 gallon tank filled with rotten wood, leaves, and the decomposed soil that got picked up with the wood. I hope shes laying eggs in there, especially since shes yet to do the laundry or cook for the male beetle, lol (just joking). though i did uproot her once, fed her and released her back in to the cage to do her work. I wanna look for eggs but im afraid i might crush and egg or kill a grub by mistake.

chr

Arachnopeon
rhino beetles

hello,
i am looking for live adult rhino beetles ( dynastes ) here in the us. any help super appreciated.
thank you.
chris

woebken@gmail.com

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just given a female beetle from this area, and wondered what I could do with her - if I put her in a cage outside by a light, would she attract males and mate? Should I put her in a substrate to see if she's already gravid?