Dynastes tityus - best food for larvae to get large adults?

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I've been doing a bunch of reading, as I recently ordered a Dynastes tityus grub, and found out that the adults vary in size based on what you feed the grubs. What's the best food to give them for the largest adults? I have access to dog food, cat food, black walnut hardwood, and an oak log.

Salmon

Arachnopeon
I've been doing a bunch of reading, as I recently ordered a Dynastes tityus grub, and found out that the adults vary in size based on what you feed the grubs. What's the best food to give them for the largest adults? I have access to dog food, cat food, black walnut hardwood, and an oak log.
Peter from bugsincyberspace sells a special substrate mix for growing up big beetles, and reccomends feeding dry dog food for protein every once in a while.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I was planning to get that substrate at some point. It's just kind of expensive, especially added to the $15 grub. I do have a dog, though, so the dog food won't be a problem. Thanks!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Providing them with white-rotted wood in addition to the normal flake soil is known to result in huge majors. It also has the benefit of not spoiling like kibble.

the problem with grain products is they often harbor grain mites, which can cause severe problems for the larvae

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Providing them with white-rotted wood in addition to the normal flake soil is known to result in huge majors. It also has the benefit of not spoiling like kibble.

the problem with grain products is they often harbor grain mites, which can cause severe problems for the larvae
Is white-rotted wood just wood that has white moss and stuff growing on it? Also, where could I get it?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Is white-rotted wood just wood that has white moss and stuff growing on it? Also, where could I get it?
White rotted wood is the result of freshly cut wood infected with fungus. The most common form of this is wood that has been inoculated with the oyster mushroom fungus, eventually the wood is full of mycelium which begins to break it down, and soften it. The man in this video uses it for all his beetles, pretty much:

In addition the the wood flake he'll add a section of white-rotted birch as a great source of protein for his megasoma.

Rique

Arachnosquire
Rotten oak leaves would work excellently well. McMonigle suggests that if the objective is to attain major beetles, supplementing the substrate with dog food, cat food, or fish food is important. This should be added between hatching and L2. Nevertheless, it is possible to obtain major males without the supplement.

Rique

Arachnosquire
Peter from bugsincyberspace sells a special substrate mix for growing up big beetles, and reccomends feeding dry dog food for protein every once in a while.
Salmon, I agree with you. The addition of protein vis a vis dog or cat food/pellets, or even fish food/flakes is described by McMonigle as a tried source of protein to ensure major adults if provided such supplements between hatching and L2.

The problem with this technique is that unless the flakes or pellets are buried in the substrate, the larvae may not consume it.

I have yet to introduce this technique, and still have produced majors. But when I do, I plan to pulverize the pellets or mix several ounces of fish food in the substrate. This would ensure it is consumed by the larvae.