Dynastes hercules advice

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
Hi to everyone that looks at this. I've kept beetles in the past as larva but never as big as dynasties hercules. Anyone with advice one can't get in book but only personal experience? Especially larva rearing as it's been a while since I have done this. Last large beetle I raised was as a kid and it was Lucanus elaphas and there tiny compared to Dynasties hercules.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I will pm you more about this. Technically all exotic plant eating bugs are illegal, except for goliath beetles.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Beetle Forum is the best place to talk about the rearing and breeding of beetles, especially the rhino and stag beetles, lots of knowledgeable people there who don't always frequent Arachnoboards, I'd make an account there if I were you! ;)

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
I know they're illegal by most standards. However a friend of mine was doing research at a SUNY institution with various beetle species and testing the effects of certain chemical. His program was cut short and instead of terminating this species, him and I went to fish and wildlife and did some horribly long paper work and I can keep them as long as they stay in my possession and don't leave New York state as this documentation only covers this state. I'm not moving anytime soon so this will work perfectly. This was an extremely lucky case for me as I know of others who have tried with different species and have been miserably shot down.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I know they're illegal by most standards. However a friend of mine was doing research at a SUNY institution with various beetle species and testing the effects of certain chemical. His program was cut short and instead of terminating this species, him and I went to fish and wildlife and did some horribly long paper work and I can keep them as long as they stay in my possession and don't leave New York state as this documentation only covers this state. I'm not moving anytime soon so this will work perfectly. This was an extremely lucky case for me as I know of others who have tried with different species and have been miserably shot down.
That's really cool, you lucky son of a gun! :D Hope they do well in your care!

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
@Hisserdude I will as my colleague will be giving me advice along the way. He used oak and oak leaves and mulch which were all heat treated as substrate.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
@Hisserdude I will as my colleague will be giving me advice along the way. He used oak and oak leaves and mulch which were all heat treated as substrate.
Decaying hardwood leaves and wood, as well as compost manure makes a good mix for most Rhino beetles I believe, the wood and leaves a should be really rotten, and the wood should be dark brown and easy to crumble up in your hands.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Make sure to offer a piece of dog food now and then, however make sure it's eaten within 24 to 48 hours, if not then remove it.