Dying Avic?

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a little A. Avic (2 - 2.5" legspan) that has been a little off lately. She molted about 3 weeks ago and has had 2 or 3 crickets since molting. On Wednesday I gave her a cricket and she ate it and seemed fine. On Thursday she was acting a little off... She was sitting in funny positions, some of her legs looked kinda crooked.

On Friday, while I was watching, she ran out of her web, made a circle around her enclosure, then flipped over onto her back. I'm pretty sure this wasn't to molt as she had just molted, and I would think that she would molt in her web or hide.

I left her alone for an hour and then she went back on her feet and started walking around, but her 2 back legs were not moving. It didn't seem like there was anything wrong with the legs, more like she had no control over them.

She walked around some more then flipped over onto her back and stayed like that all night. This morning I saw her on her back but she looked like she wanted to be on her feet. I put her in a small plastic container with less ventilation and a lot of moisture.

Does this sound like dehydration or maybe even nerve/brain damage? I see no evidence of mites or parasites, and the other Avic that she cohabitates with seems just fine.

Last edited:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Three questions:
- How does the abdomen look, is it small?
- Where did you get the crickets from, were they feeder crickets from a store or wild caught?
-Have you put a dish of water in with it to see if it would drink?

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you think it may have been exposed to a pesticide of some sort ? I've never seen it's affect on a T. But ive seen it on roaches and other inverts and it seems to screw with the nerve system.Thats how I think raid and common household pesticides work.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin
Three questions:
- How does the abdomen look, is it small?
- Where did you get the crickets from, were they feeder crickets from a store or wild caught?
-Have you put a dish of water in with it to see if it would drink?
Her abdomen looks small but not excessively small. The crickets were bought from a petstore. She had a dish of water and I also offered her some water on a spoon but she didn't want the water.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
From what you're describing, it does sound like she has been exposed to so sort of pesticide, at least to me it does. I would keep her in the ICU with plenty of water for her to drink and hopfully she will pull through. If these crickets were bought, I'd avoid bying any more from the place, and if they were WC I'd be going someplace much more out and away from where us humans live to gather more. Hope to hear she is better soon

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is just my theory but could her back two legs be stuck in the old skin. That she didn't molt all the way and her two hind legs still have the old skin on them? Could that be why she is having issues walking?

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by crash769
This is just my theory but could her back two legs be stuck in the old skin. That she didn't molt all the way and her two hind legs still have the old skin on them? Could that be why she is having issues walking?
I don't think that is the case

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ya, that's why I was asking where you had gotten your crickets from, I was thinking your T may have been exposed to some sort of pesticide.

Follow Mendi's advice and keep an eye on he/she, let us know how it is doing.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
=( thats too bad... i feel for you. I would hate to lose any of my T's. No matter how rare or expensive, they all mean the same.

peace

TheDon

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where did you buy the T?
I bought one from petco, and it died too.
I could be wrong, but I think they use some kind of gas fumes to get them out of the trees, when collected.
Sorry you lost your T..:(

Ern

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just to be fair to petco, i bought an A. avic from them and it's thriving. very docile as well.

i'm very sorry about your loss. :(

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about the pinktoe, it's hard to lose one when you get so attached to them. I am interested to know where you got it from too?

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Where did you buy the T?
I bought one from petco, and it died too.
I could be wrong, but I think they use some kind of gas fumes to get them out of the trees, when collected.
Sorry you lost your T..:(

Ern
My 2 A. Avics, H. Lividum, Big G. Rosea, and H. Maculata were all from Whities Pets, a local petstore in Fresno, CA.

The store had 4 A. Avics to pick from. I bought 2 of them, one of which is the one that just died. The other one that I bought is doing fine and eating crickets. They still have 2 unsold at the petstore and they both seem to be doing ok.

I really don't know what went wrong. One day she was fine, then she turned weird and did the back flip thing. When I put her in the ICU she was walking around the ICU normally, just dragging her 2 back feet behind her. Then a few hours later she was dead...

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sounds like what happened to our P. lugardi. She just started wandering around, half paralyzed for a few days. She eventually just stopped in her tracks and died. Ther weird thing was that her legs never folded under like they usually do and her body became softer than usual. We finally realized that we had touched the crickets that we fed her after petting our freshly flea treated dog. It really does sound like pesticide somehow got to your avic. We wash out hands now before doing anything with the tarantulas and have a sign to remind us to do so on their shelves.

-Jill