Dwarf Tarantula Genus and Species List

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I'm not in US, as you may know, but I like to add these three dwarves in here, just out of curiosity.

There are others that are not so common, I'll post them later too.

Catanduba
Catanduba peruacu
_MG_5971.JPG.jpg

Catanduba simoni
_MG_2618.JPG.jpg

Catanduba flavohirta
1575844284174__MG_0145.JPG.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
A friend of mine got them a few years ago, but I'm not sure how. I can ask him, though.
Yeah I'd be just curious to know,beause I havent ever heard of any of those species let alone the genus before, and it seems like its something I should definietly know about!!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’m getting a flat down there - time to move
Right!?? What an awesome genus and species!! I got a friend down there, hes not in the hobby, but im half tempted to see what he can finn down there!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Right!?? What an awesome genus and species!! I got a friend down there, hes not in the hobby, but im half tempted to see what he can finn down there!
TX Tarantula Tycoon!

Dude check the news and make sure your water doesn’t have the brain eating amoeba like some of the TX towns down there

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Dude check the news and make sure your water doesn’t have the brain eating amoeba like some of the TX towns down there
I haven’t even heard of this!! o_O I haven’t really watched/read the news in 4-5yrs. But I’ll look now out for this now!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Maybe add:
Avicularia minatrix
Chaetopelma olivaceum
Bonnetina cyanifemur
Bonnetina alagoni
Citharacanthus cyaneus
Davus pentaloris (a small species)
Euthycaelus colonicus
Hapalotremus albipes
Phrixotrichus/Paraphysa scrofa
Sahydroaraneus raja
Schizopelma sp Colima
Scopelobates sericeus

TBH as a keeper and lover of dwarf species, I happily purchase smaller species, and I think it's a good idea to include them with a note about their size.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe add:
Avicularia minatrix
Chaetopelma olivaceum
Bonnetina cyanifemur
Bonnetina alagoni
Citharacanthus cyaneus
Davus pentaloris (a small species)
Euthycaelus colonicus
Hapalotremus albipes
Phrixotrichus/Paraphysa scrofa
Sahydroaraneus raja
Schizopelma sp Colima
Scopelobates sericeus

TBH as a keeper and lover of dwarf species, I happily purchase smaller species, and I think it's a good idea to include them with a note about their size.
You know some of those I did have on the list originally, but I edited them out, due to them really not being true dwarfs, but just small tarantulas, with some females getting 4-4.5in. I may include them in a additional post of small tarantulas that did not quite make the list criterion, as a follow up!

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
My Cyriocosmus leetzi arrived in good shape today courtesy of Evil Trail Mix. Danke.

WOW is that a tiny tiny sling. Yet another first. Smallest "t" I've tried to rehouse yet. That little buggar did not want off of that tissue. Not for any reason. Luckily my grandson was there to help with spotting duties and we did safely.

I can't wait to watch him grow. Gorgeous little spoods. :)

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Dolichothele exilis, psednocnemis brachymosa, theraphosinae sp ipeti Klein, bonnetina minax, pseudhapalopus sp langhaar are a few more I’ve seen for sale in the US that I believe to be under 3”. This list is awesome, thanks for doing it

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
I could be wrong, and I have heard varying things, but brachionopus pretoriae might qualify as a dwarf species. I have one now which is about an inch in length, but still young.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I could be wrong, and I have heard varying things, but brachionopus pretoriae might qualify as a dwarf species. I have one now which is about an inch in length, but still young.
Yes that's what I've heard as well. They are on my "to buy" list!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes that's what I've heard as well. They are on my "to buy" list!
I’ll have to see, I had originally had things that were small 4in range? But edited them out so that it was only true dwarfs and not also small tarantulas. What mature sizes are reported?

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Catanduba peruacu looks like a more vibrant Homeomma sp Chilensis. Both of which seem nonexistent for availability lol.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@zeeman going to work on your intitail suggestion to improve the thread, I was updating it and writing some boiled down basic care notes for the genera on the intial list and Ill try and get permission for photographs to along with that for the species that that is possible for!