Dune Scorpion Help

shxrksy

Arachnopeon
Hello there! I am relatively new so bare with me! But my dune scorpion has me a little concerned.

It hasn't eaten in the past month or two, and whenever I put food in its enclosure, the scorpion acts scared of the prey? It will tentatively pinch it and then run or back away. It will repeat this process. I have been trying to feed it small crickets, and a mealworm once. To no avail.

I am not super familiar with scorpions but when I first had it, it jumped on its prey immediately.

Please forgive me if there is a thread similar to this, I looked and didn't see any.
Is this normal for my kind of scorpion? Do I need to change anything? Feed it something different?

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

Scorpion Luke

Arachnopeon
I've had scorpions go many many months without eating. I'm not to familiar with this species so i'm not sure on how they regularly behave. I would make sure the scorp is in a comfortable habitat with hides and good temperatures. Offer it food once a week if not twice. If its comfortable for the Dune I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:

shxrksy

Arachnopeon
I've had scorpions go many many months without eating. I'm not to familiar with this species so i'm not sure on how they regularly behave. I would make sure the scorp is in a comfortable habitat with hides and good temperatures. Offer it food once a week if not twice. If its comfortable for the Dune I wouldn't worry.
Hello!! Thank you so much for answering! The scorpion has a hide that they use constantly, and temps are good. I'll make sure to keep offering it food, twice a week. Are crickets good or should I be feeding it something else?

Scorpion Luke

Arachnopeon
Gut load crickets are good. You can think of them as walking stomachs what ever u feed them goes right into your Scorpion. Dubia / meal worms are good alternatives if you don't want to deal with the cricket smell.

shxrksy

Arachnopeon
Looks like you have crushed walnut shells in there. I'd change the substrate to a sand/coco husk mix.
The sub I have in there right now is the sand that PetSmart sells for reptiles. Where can I get a sand/coco husk mix?

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The sub I have in there right now is the sand that PetSmart sells for reptiles. Where can I get a sand/coco husk mix?
I just buy a big bag of playground sand from my local hardware store and coco husk comes in a brick from most petstores. Then i bake the substrate in the oven for about an hour just to be safe

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Smeringurus are easily stressed. if they're stressed they wont eat.

You dont have to place the prey near them, they can detect it from 12" away.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Smeringurus are easily stressed. if they're stressed they wont eat.

You dont have to place the prey near them, they can detect it from 12" away.
Just wondering, any specific causes for the stress? Is it huge enclosures, or something else? @shxrksy your enclosure looks a little big just from the pic. What does it look like?

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
Zero experience with reptisand. I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago to avoid keeping scorps on calcium sand. No idea if there's truth to that or not. I use quartz sand for my desert scorps and they love it. It's very soft, almost feels like flour between my fingers.

I feed mine crickets, and appropriate sized dubia roaches. They love crickets. They're just so defenseless lol.

Any update on how yours is doing?

shxrksy

Arachnopeon
Hi! Thank you all for the replies. :)
I didn't think the enclosure was too big for him... he has enough room for a hide and to explore minimally.
I haven't been able to run to the store to get him new substrate yet, but was wondering if coco fiber or peat moss would work? Or does it strictly have to be sand?

I've been keeping an eye on him, I put a small cricket in there but he's acting the same way. Pinch and run.

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hi! Thank you all for the replies. :)
I didn't think the enclosure was too big for him... he has enough room for a hide and to explore minimally.
I haven't been able to run to the store to get him new substrate yet, but was wondering if coco fiber or peat moss would work? Or does it strictly have to be sand?

I've been keeping an eye on him, I put a small cricket in there but he's acting the same way. Pinch and run.
Peat moss and cocoa fiber would probably be too much moisture . Sand should work fine. Always wanted to keep this species, but fear what you have going on ;) May not be a fan of live? Always see this species not eat, but not sure exactly why. Maybe feed it prekilled? Never know. Never worked with a dune scorp, but I hope that it eats for you eventually :D

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a psammophilous species so sand is the best choice of substrate for it. Preferably consolidated so that it can burrow.

As smokehound has said, Smeringurus are easily stressed. They are very sensitive to goings on outside their enclosure.

You should also think about the time of year. It is now winter and wild S. mesaensis will be less active. It is quite possible that your scorpion is wanting to be left in peace to see out the winter in a safe place, ready to resume activity and feeding in the warmer temperatures of spring.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Two things I see.

The hide is to cavernous. It should be more buried like a burrow.

This time of year they slow down which is normal.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
I had a Hadrurus Spadix not eat for almost three months, try every now and then, but remember they go a while without eating in the wild.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very pretty scorpion! Please watch my desert scorpion care video :
Using a sand mix with about 10% clay is ideal for these. These scorpions dig tunnels to their exact preference and any other kind of "hide" stresses them. Maintain a temperature gradient across the tank so it can have tunnels at different temps. Won't live long on loose sand. They can survive xeric conditions for a time but 20%-30% humidity is better. They will drink misted droplets or standing water. Beware: most care information out there will kill your scorpion within 1 year

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very pretty scorpion! Please watch my desert scorpion care video :
Using a sand mix with about 10% clay is ideal for these. These scorpions dig tunnels to their exact preference and any other kind of "hide" stresses them. Maintain a temperature gradient across the tank so it can have tunnels at different temps. Won't live long on loose sand. They can survive xeric conditions for a time but 20%-30% humidity is better. They will drink misted droplets or standing water. Beware: most care information out there will kill your scorpion within 1 year
Great video! I'll have to try that trick with the pane of glass in the middle of the tank. My hairy desert scorpion has her burrow smack in the middle of the tank where I can't see her until she comes out at night. She may have some tank renovations in her future!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've had quite a few Dune's over the years as I have been lucky to live about an hour away from prime habitat. My success with wild caught has been to acclimate them for the first 30 to 60 days in deli cups. They are kinda stressed and jittery scorpions and I found they would feed regularly in a smaller enclosure as they didn't have to chase down food. Once relaxed and well fed I could introduce them to a more spacious enclosure with relatively no problems. Definitely not communal. They are voracious!