dry ice knock out.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was curious if there is a chance that using dry ice and water would produce enough CO2 to knock out a pede?

And if so how long would it take.

the way i though of doing it was filling a butter bowl with hot water, puting dry ice in that, and then running some fish tubing from that to another container with the pede.

I used this setup to euthanize feeder mice, but my main worry is killing it with to much CO2.

Any thoughts. advice?

I am wanting to try and sex my 1 and only pede, so a soda bottle with co2 cartridges would be a little expensive.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have used this technique with T's don't know if it works with pedes?? I just placed the water with dry ice in a bowl over a critter keeper let the co2 flow into the critter keeper for a few seconds (keep a close eye on the T)and it worked fine.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey Cody...when you asked about alternative methods to soda dispensers I didn't even consider that you may have dry ice available. As the Chef said, you shouldn't have too much to worry about with the 'pedes health if you monitor it. I was using 1 CO2 cartridge per pede and they were up and around within moments of waking.

If you have success, please document it!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
how long do they actually stay "knocked out"?

Right now my biggest issue is the fact I dont have the camera equipment to take the pictures needed to sex.

If nothing else I will observe the genitals via jewlers loupe and write a bite report. haha.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
1-2 minutes, max. If they aren't fully out knocked out, the genitals won't evert(that, and you will notice slight twitching of the legs). Just have everything ready to go before you begin and we won't have to read that bite report;)

TuckerZ

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I'd be very careful. CO2 exposure can kill almost all oxygen breathing animals. People even use dry ice to to kill off bedbugs. Good luck and don't overdo it.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ yeah, I am aware. I am not sure of the amounts of Co2 it actually puts off is why I asked. I know when I bred mice for my snakes, I would use the same method to kill them as humanely as possible. It would only take a minute.

I am looking into getting a few more pedes. So I may hold off and do all of them at once.(not at the same time though) but since I cant store dry ice I would just but about a pound and do all of the pedes back to back.

I might have quite the nice surprise for everyone;)