Dropped tarantula and now it has a scab?

Namelezs

Arachnopeon
Ok firstly I know I shouldn't have handed him, I've leaned that now

So a couple days ago I had to take my juvenile Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens out his (I say his, he is unsexed) enclosure to remove some food he didn't eat and decided I'd handle him for a little bit. Unfortunately he panicked ran off my arm and fell roughly 4ft to the floor. He was still running around with no bleeding/leaking hemolymph. I caught him and put him back in his enclosure.

This morning I went to check on him and noticed there was a reddish crusty bit in the middle of the underside of his cephalothorax. Any idea what this is? Could he have internal damage? His abdomen is small bc he molted recently

Attachments

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Well.
All you can do is provide a good place to heal up.
Maybe it's from the fall. Even if not, the remedy is the same.🤞

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
I'm not one for handling. Never have been and don't plan on it. I see the fascination in it though, so I don't condemn those who do so with proper technique and care.

Gotta say though, handling a GBB seems a strange choice IMO... not the strangest choice I've seen, but weird choice nonetheless lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That’s what you get! It’s an injury likely due to your crappy husbandry

Namelezs

Arachnopeon
I'm not one for handling. Never have been and don't plan on it. I see the fascination in it though, so I don't condemn those who do so with proper technique and care.

Gotta say though, handling a GBB seems a strange choice IMO... not the strangest choice I've seen, but weird choice nonetheless lol
I don't normally! The only time I've handled my tarantulas in the past is when rehousing them. And even it's only been my much chiller G. pulchripes. I've learned my lesson

That’s what you get! It’s an injury likely due to your crappy husbandry
Is that really the best way to encourage people to do better? I'm aware I made an avoidable mistake, thats on me. Shaming me isn't going to help

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is that really the best way to encourage people to do better? I'm aware I made an avoidable mistake, thats on me. Shaming me isn't going to help
I stated a fact- no one is going to write your husbandry is great on this.

Hopefully you learn going forward.

Namelezs

Arachnopeon
I stated a fact- no one is going to write your husbandry is great on this.

Hopefully you learn going forward.
Thats now what I'm saying. Telling me "thats what I get" for an honest mistake is just plain rude. Literally the first thing I said was me owning up to making a mistake and learning from it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats now what I'm saying. Telling me "thats what I get" for an honest mistake is just plain rude. Literally the first thing I said was me owning up to making a mistake and learning from it
Time will tell

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Yeah I mean it's a bad situation and there's not really anything you can do now except wait and see what happens. Your T might be fine, it might not. There could be internal injuries that lead to his death, or that spot is the only issue and it molts out. There's not really anything anyone can do to help you here, unfortunately.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ok firstly I know I shouldn't have handed him, I've leaned that now

So a couple days ago I had to take my juvenile Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens out his (I say his, he is unsexed) enclosure to remove some food he didn't eat and decided I'd handle him for a little bit. Unfortunately he panicked ran off my arm and fell roughly 4ft to the floor. He was still running around with no bleeding/leaking hemolymph. I caught him and put him back in his enclosure.

This morning I went to check on him and noticed there was a reddish crusty bit in the middle of the underside of his cephalothorax. Any idea what this is? Could he have internal damage? His abdomen is small bc he molted recently
If it survives it’s because it’s skinny a fatter t would plop to its doom instantly usually. You’ll know in a day or two if it survives .
you learned your lesson already, hope it survives.
Only handling I ever do is when a t runs out of its catch cup ontop my hand . Because I used the lid for feeders ..
skittish runners are a nogo.

Namelezs

Arachnopeon
If it survives it’s because it’s skinny a fatter t would plop to its doom instantly usually. You’ll know in a day or two if it survives .
you learned your lesson already, hope it survives.
Only handling I ever do is when a t runs out of its catch cup ontop my hand . Because I used the lid for feeders ..
skittish runners are a nogo.
Yeah he's definitely going on the Do Not Handle list along with the rest of my inverts lol

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
It's not an ideal place to have an injury, right over the brain/ganglia. Hopefully it's "just" a scratch and not a puncture, but only time can tell if any internal damage has been done, and that can take time. Hopefully he makes it till (and through) next moult.

I do applaud you for owning up to your mistake, and showing the actual, very real consequences handling can and will have is the best way to make other keepers rethink handling. So kudos to you for that!

Namelezs

Arachnopeon
It's not an ideal place to have an injury, right over the brain/ganglia. Hopefully it's "just" a scratch and not a puncture, but only time can tell if any internal damage has been done, and that can take time. Hopefully he makes it till (and through) next moult.

I do applaud you for owning up to your mistake, and showing the actual, very real consequences handling can and will have is the best way to make other keepers rethink handling. So kudos to you for that!
I'm gonna hope it's just a scratch! Again it's been a couple days since and while I can tell he's stressed he's doing everything normally otherwise.

And thank you, no point denying it, no one's a perfect keeper and we all make mistakes. Best thing you can do is learn from them!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Thread bookmarked for all the future T handlers that wind up here and want to argue that they know what they are doing with handling.

I need to look up some older ones on the same issue as well.

Namelezs

Arachnopeon
I want to give one last update to this thread. It's been a couple months now but unfortunately I found him dead last week 😞

I don't know if his death was because of the drop or some other unrelated issue but let this be a lesson to not handle your tarantulas! Or if you are at least do it on top of a flat surface like a table or floor