Drawer style tubs as containers

Wallcrawler

Arachnopeon
Has anyone ever tried to use the Sterilite drawer type containers for T's? They look like they would be great space savers for a large amount of T's. They don't have an actual sealed lid as the drawer unit acts as the lid when it is pushed in. Just wondering if they could work :?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it's a good concept but I've seen what your refering to and the drawers look pretty flimsy to me. I don't think it would be hard for a T to get from one compartment to another when the drawers are shut. It seems pretty risky to me with a lot of unsure aspects about it.

Wallcrawler

Arachnopeon
I've seen those too and had originally ruled them out, but I recently looked at some for larger T's that left very little room if any for them to get into other compartments. Crickets may be able to get out though. My main concern was the T being able to push the drawer open somehow.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Thought about it too. I wouldn't use them unless you made individual lids for each drawer.
Don't cut corners with your T's. It may bite you(or them actually) in the butt.

Last edited:

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I could see a couple of drawbacks to the drawers.
1- You can't see clearly into them. If your T happens to be at the top when you pull the drawer it could lose a leg, get knocked down, or it could bolt up the side when you close it and get sheered in half. :eek:

2- Even a large species can squeeze through an amazingly small gap.

3-Tarantulas are stronger than people give them credit for, and may be able to push open a loose drawer.

4- Skittish species might bolt out and onto you when you pull the drawer.

Now if you could devise a lid that was down inside the drawer, that could eliminate the problem. Interesting idea. They would be a lot easier to move than the heavy book shelf I have to keep mine on.

For sure they would make a nice nursery to keep sling containers in. :)

Wallcrawler

Arachnopeon
That is exactly what I was thinking concerning the drawbacks. if I ever successfully breed I could see them being useful for holding a lot of vials for slings. Too bad they're not clear and tight fitting!

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know some people keep snakes in these shelving systems, but i wouldn't risk keeping T's in them personally.. unless they were in another tank/tub inside the drawer

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I could see a couple of drawbacks to the drawers.
1- You can't see clearly into them. If your T happens to be at the top when you pull the drawer it could lose a leg, get knocked down, or it could bolt up the side when you close it and get sheered in half. :eek:

2- Even a large species can squeeze through an amazingly small gap.

3-Tarantulas are stronger than people give them credit for, and may be able to push open a loose drawer.

4- Skittish species might bolt out and onto you when you pull the drawer.

Now if you could devise a lid that was down inside the drawer, that could eliminate the problem. Interesting idea. They would be a lot easier to move than the heavy book shelf I have to keep mine on.

For sure they would make a nice nursery to keep sling containers in. :)

I agree with Wicked! I know exactly which sliding plastic drawers you're talking about. I have an idea for organizing cages.. It's hard to describe through words, I'll try to sketch it out and post it on arachnoboards sometime!

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know it works for snakes, but I just don't see any practical way to do it with T's without individual lids.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could always make a simple wooden rack and use the see through shoe boxes from The Container Store. Although the shoe boxes aren't that deep. All you would need would be a little wood, saw, hammer, nails and wood glue. It's so simple even a caveman could do it.

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i to have been looking in to them no joke but i would be worry about escaping ( t ) i have kept 2 P - IMPERATOR in them and 3 babys leopard geckos some in the top and the rest in the bottom one but they are not ( t ) === phil

Wallcrawler

Arachnopeon
Has anybody checked out the shoe drawers from the container store? They are clear and look like they have some potential. Bit pricey though for a large collection.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you can use the drawers to organize multiple little containers, but otherwise... what wicked said.

to maximize the efficiency of my storage solutions i have large ~20gallon rubber totes that i store 20-50 smaller containers in. i also do this to make my setup more earthquake resistant