Double molts?

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know I am not going crazy. I have had at least two, maybe three of my slings / juvies (about 1inch now) molt, then molt AGAIN a few days later (before even eating). At first I thought my record tracking was off. But I don't see how I could make the mistake.

These are in deli cups and when they fast, I put a sticker on the lid with "F" and the date. I continue to water only. Then when I open the cup and see a molt, I remove the molt and use a pen to scribble over the "F" date. I don't feed right away but give water.

Then about a week later at feeding time, I have opened some containers that have the recent "F" and it's so recent that I believe it molted a second time in a week? Is that possible, has ANYONE seen this before? It could be that I mixed up an OLD molt date...but now I am going to start using a different sticker to see for sure. Or just list the molt dates for the last three molts right on the lid.

If anyone else has seen this it will confirm for me that I am just imagining things.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not going to comment on your mental state, however I have never seen that happen before.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol Ok. I think it's like ...paranormal. I know there must be a reason for it. And it's probably human error. Still, you just never know, right?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I know I am not going crazy. I have had at least two, maybe three of my slings / juvies (about 1inch now) molt, then molt AGAIN a few days later (before even eating). At first I thought my record tracking was off. But I don't see how I could make the mistake.

These are in deli cups and when they fast, I put a sticker on the lid with "F" and the date. I continue to water only. Then when I open the cup and see a molt, I remove the molt and use a pen to scribble over the "F" date. I don't feed right away but give water.

Then about a week later at feeding time, I have opened some containers that have the recent "F" and it's so recent that I believe it molted a second time in a week? Is that possible, has ANYONE seen this before? It could be that I mixed up an OLD molt date...but now I am going to start using a different sticker to see for sure. Or just list the molt dates for the last three molts right on the lid.

If anyone else has seen this it will confirm for me that I am just imagining things.
I don't think thats possible, once a T molts it's sort of empty/hollow. If you've ever eaten crab the fresh molted crabs don't have much meat in them, but the crabs with old weathered shells are filled with meat. I think spiders are similar, they are almost completely drained after a molt and need to replenish through feeding before molting again.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Your slings are trolling you by swapping around exuviae at night when you are not looking.

basin79

ArachnoGod

100% agreed you're definitely not going crazy. You're already there.

You're as mad as a box of frogs.