Double checkin' (molt question)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some pictures of my Nhandu Vulpinus and I was double checking to see if I had a molt coming up soon....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From those pics all I can tell is that your T is fat. haha. I don't see any premolt signs; the abdomen is dark alittle but I think that kind of dark is normal. Whens the last time it ate?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From those pics all I can tell is that your T is fat. haha. I don't see any premolt signs; the abdomen is dark alittle but I think that kind of dark is normal. Whens the last time it ate?
I think two weeks - three weeks ago...I put some crickets in there today about three but she (is what i think it is) didn't go for them as quick as she usually does when I drop them directly in front of her. Also I thought when the abdomen reaches that size and they stop eating (if she doesnt eat the ones I put in there by tomorrow morning I'm going to take those out) it could be considered pre - molt? Do Tarantulas abdomens get bigger than that and they still eat food but at the same time reject it from time to time?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think two weeks - three weeks ago...I put some crickets in there today about three but she (is what i think it is) didn't go for them as quick as she usually does when I drop them directly in front of her. Also I thought when the abdomen reaches that size and they stop eating (if she doesnt eat the ones I put in there by tomorrow morning I'm going to take those out) it could be considered pre - molt? Do Tarantulas abdomens get bigger than that and they still eat food but at the same time reject it from time to time?
Hm well an abdomen of that size does not necessarily mean premolt. There have been much bigger abdomens. They way I see it is, is that your T is either in early premolt or just fasting.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The last pic at the botton of the abdomen looks like a possibility of pre molt, but the first pic has no signs from what I can tell.
She may just be very full. How much and how often do you feed her?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The last pic at the botton of the abdomen looks like a possibility of pre molt, but the first pic has no signs from what I can tell.
She may just be very full. How much and how often do you feed her?

i feed her every week and as much as she will eat. So when she does eat big crickets i feed her 5 - 8/week and small crickets 10 - 12 a week.

and whatevr she doesnt eat (which is some times 2 -3) i take the rest out and wait until the same day next week.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My N. chromatus just molted this afternoon and i was very much expecting it as her bum was jet black and had been for a couple weeks or longer - definitely jet black. In fact it was so black, her huge bald spot blended in instead of looking real obvious. i'll post a pic from about weeks ago if i can find it and remember how to do the photobucket thing... Let's see...

Okay, i fitured it out!

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z108/julesaussies/100_8246.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z108/julesaussies/100_8251b.jpg

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@ Ballpython2 - You can try maybe halfing her feeding intake. I know someone that only feeds his T's 6 Crics max per month and they all do fine. Remember that more you feed, the quicker they will grow. I currently feed my adult 4 Crics a week after I heard about power feeding. Before that she was eating 11 adult crics in a week. I have heard, I think on this forum, that a T will mostly always eat, as in the 'wild' they never know when the next meal is coming.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@ Ballpython2 - You can try maybe halfing her feeding intake. I know someone that only feeds his T's 6 Crics max per month and they all do fine. Remember that more you feed, the quicker they will grow. I currently feed my adult 4 Crics a week after I heard about power feeding. Before that she was eating 11 adult crics in a week. I have heard, I think on this forum, that a T will mostly always eat, as in the 'wild' they never know when the next meal is coming.
yea i want my T's power fed so this way i can find out faster if they are males or females. once i find out if they are males I'm going to feed them every two weeks so i can hopefully get females and mate them.

the only ones i really wanna mate are my singapore blues and my nhandu