Dolomedes triton

spinnekop

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bobby, I feel so sorry for your losses although it looked good since they were eating well.
I have bad experience raising slings of Pisauridae as well (see the story on this topic...
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=52860&page=2
Maybe pray variation is an issue for this specie too....
Can you give your remaining slings baby crickets? The latter have a high food value. If they survive this might prove that Pisauridae definitely need different prey to have the necessary elements for a good growth.

Please keep us informed. I am fascinated by this story since I want to find a way to make sure 100% of offsprings survive.

Last edited:

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all of your replies. My last two slings from that eggsac are still alive and still very very tiny. I am crossing my fingers. I have been catching gnats and other wild insects to feed them. This is getting to be almost inpossible now since we have had several freezes. I will try the baby crickets also. the drive to get those is horrible though.

@NRF I have seen them stay under water for over 20 minutes. I am not sure how long they can stay down though. Like Argyroneta aquatica they can breathe under water due to the bubble that surronds them.

anyways, my older D.triton just molted yesterday. It has been growing like crazy. I have been giving it lots of spiders lately. It seems much more eager to eat the spiders than anything else that I have offered it. It is great to watch these spiders feed. It reminds me of watching Agelenids race across their webs to catch prey. The golden sheen of the abdomen of these spiders is amazing.
anyways, enjoy the pics.

peace,
Bobby

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few more pics

here is a better underwater pic

and a pic of a spider that I found a few days ago.

peace,

Bobby

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
WithCerberus said:
and a pic of a spider that I found a few days ago.
d*mn you,... why can i find such spiders here :D ;)

how many Dolomedes you got by now ? :?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Bobby,

once more, very well-done pics!

I have to admit, i really like your enclosures, very good work on those. I wish i´d be able to get a pile of those plastic-boxes over here...

@ Steven:

Be patient. There´s gonna be a time where Ancylemetes spec. will be available to our fellow hobby enthusiasts in the US and vice-versa there will be Dolomedes specs. available in Europe. Shouldn´t take too long. ;)

Greetings,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
@ Steven:
Be patient. There´s gonna be a time where Ancylemetes spec. will be available to our fellow hobby enthusiasts in the US and vice-versa there will be Dolomedes specs. available in Europe. Shouldn´t take too long. ;)
hehehe that's sound to me like you're working on some kind of trade :D :clap:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Steven said:
hehehe that's sound to me like you're working on some kind of trade :D :clap:

Still doing my homework, Steven ;)

Now we´re 3, a buddy of mine from switzerland is also interested in some goodies from good ol US.

Mail will go out next week, i´m still in need of some infos, gonna keep you updated.

Greetings,

Stefan

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the compliments. Right before I moved from Kentucky I did a little collecting and now I have 5 D.tenebrossus and 4 d.triton. I really like working on the enclosures. The boxes are really cheap. They are about $1 a piece. I bet you could find some over there Stefan. They are just hobby display boxes. Try mrplexi.com. That is interesting info about Ancylometes maybe coming over here. I am not too familiar about the procedure of shipping species internationally. Is it a big pain in the rear?

peace,

Bobby

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
WithCerberus said:
Thanks for the compliments. Right before I moved from Kentucky I did a little collecting and now I have 5 D.tenebrossus and 4 d.triton. I really like working on the enclosures. The boxes are really cheap. They are about $1 a piece. I bet you could find some over there Stefan. They are just hobby display boxes. Try mrplexi.com. That is interesting info about Ancylometes maybe coming over here. I am not too familiar about the procedure of shipping species internationally. Is it a big pain in the rear?

peace,

Bobby
Hi Bobby,

yeah, i´m already screening several companies here in germany that sell plastic boxes. Perhaps i´m lucky and find something suitable...

The procedure with shipping live-specimen to the US in the "official" way is quite a piece of work. I´m not willing to go through the whole process of aquring the proper papers. Instead i´m more looking for some pro who has already the papers and experience and put some bucks out for the services.
Now it´s a question to solve, if all species will abe available...

Greetings,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
yeah, i´m already screening several companies here in germany that sell plastic boxes. Perhaps i´m lucky and find something suitable...
please inform me aswell :worship: ;)

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought that it would be hard to do. Still though, I hope you find a way to get some Ancylometes over here.:}

peace,
Bobby

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
WithCerberus said:
I thought that it would be hard to do. Still though, I hope you find a way to get some Ancylometes over here.:}

peace,
Bobby
Mostly hard in the bank-account, the process will be pricey... :mad:

The task for getting the Ancylometes into the US is one of your bigger dealers in my opinion. The spiders are here, somebody just needs to go through the efforts to get them. Maybe if more US-hobbists will ask the major dealers for those species there will finally be some light at the end of the tunnel.... ;)

Greetings,

Stefan

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will do my part to start buggering them. How common are they on the market over there?

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Christmas eve molt pics

She molted Christmas eve morning and is looking very nice :) She wanted to look her best for the holidays. Anyways enjoy the pics and merry Christmas.

Peace,

Bobby

p.s. the plant is one of my favorite orchids, Ludisia discolor, for whoever cares 8). It is a great plant for terrariums.

Last edited:

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A new container...

She ended up getting a new container yesterday too.

and now for a few new pics of my female and one of the juvies...

and this little squirt is growing very fast.

peace,

Bobby