Dolichovespula maculata queen?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Found overwintering while looking for beetle larvae.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I took my kid to the orthodontist the other day and the office staff (all ladies) started raising a commotion in the reception area. One lady went running off to the other side of the office. She returned just in time to see one of the women stepping on the hornet (overwintering, apparently, in the office and waking up early). She was holding one of those handheld electronic bug-zappers shaped like a tennis racket. Apparently this would have been its maiden voyage as the gimmicky, unnecessary insect and spider killing device it was. The look of disappointment on this woman's face at not having had the opportunity to execute the hornet with this ridiculous instrument was surpassed only by the same quality in her voice. I half-expected her to press it against the other lady's face as the price for satisfaction lost.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I found those tennis racket zappers to be much more effective on naughty roommates that don't do their dishes & drunken revelers that pass out too soon...better than coffee!

About the insect in question...I think I've confirmed that she is indeed a matriarch.

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got any other shots of her? She has a very dark color pattern probably typical of western specimens

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'll dig around in the archive when I'm at home, but I think they're all of much lesser quality.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I found those tennis racket zappers to be much more effective on naughty roommates that don't do their dishes & drunken revelers that pass out too soon...better than coffee!

About the insect in question...I think I've confirmed that she is indeed a matriarch.
my roommate never does the dishes, but I also don't pay the electric or cable/internet bill. WIN! :clap: