Dolichothele diamantinensis (Brazilian Blue Dwarf Beauty) Open Thread

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
And I found this little guy in the cabinet trying to gain access to one of the sling enclosures. Not sure what species, but it wastes no time pouncing on small B.lateralis roaches.
A parson spider (family Gnaphosidae, genus Herpyllus), either H. ecclesiasticus or H. propinquus. As you have seen, they hunt on foot.

Brachalakin

Arachnopeon
Mine is still pretty small (1 in) but it doesn't have very much hair at all, the last molt is the first time I could make out any adult coloration, btw it was awesome!, at what size did y'alls double D's get hairy legs?

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Mine is still pretty small (1 in) but it doesn't have very much hair at all, the last molt is the first time I could make out any adult coloration, btw it was awesome!, at what size did y'alls double D's get hairy legs?
Ha ha never thought to call em double D's. Here are two siblings of mine. the one on the right is about 1" leg span and skinny gray legs. The one on the left recently molted to about 1 1/4" and has fuzzy legs and more adult coloration. I think you'll have fuzziness after your next molt!
IMG_20200526_160822.jpg

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Readying for a New Suit

Abdomens are getting dark and shiny, most are skipping meals....and another moult cycle is in the future. 4 of the slings are / were in heavy premoult, one of these moulted yesterday.

E77BEC97-16C2-4A3B-9F6A-C2E99DC1DB43.jpeg

Here’s the first of the slings to moult. Like a Goober, I pulled the exuviae...then took the image.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
The slings are in another moult cycle. As of this morning, Dolichothele diamantinensis #1, #5, & #8 have moulted. Only 1 of the slings is still feeding, the rest of the slings are refusing food with abdomens that are very dark and shiny. They aren’t glassy yet, but I'm thinking that by the end of next week, there may be only 1 or 2 left still to moult.

#1 has grown substantially for this moult, so once they have all moulted out, I'll move them into their 4X4X8 AMAC boxes, the adult enclosures.

My oldest grandson is going to take a summer surge course with a couple of his friends, before they go into 1st grade. He has to show 3 things that are important to him...he wants to show the tarantulas. Pretty cool. :cool:

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I decided this is all I’m going to acquire for a while too
On YouTube...The Tarantula Collective has a pretty good video on Dwarf Species...very enjoyable. I get a kick out of all the goofballs that get mad because “Their Favorite” didn't make the list or was lower on the list than they thought it should be....

jay444

Arachnosquire
I decided this is all I’m going to acquire for a while too
I really have no regrets acquiring this one. Not only is it by far one of the most beautiful specimen in my collection, but mine is almost always just hanging out in the open. Incredible feeding response as well. This one is definitely a must have dwarf in your collection.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
No happy dance...but here are the last images that I took of a couple of my slings.

151F685D-4D33-4BB5-A41A-5B38FE001C8F.jpeg

This is such a cool dwarf species. This sling is trying to locate the roach, the roach wandered up onto the webbing, and the sling bolted out to grab it and missed. As soon as the roach moved again, the sling had it.

E2510D87-89BE-4D54-9874-DC3172090CF1.jpeg

I cannot wait till these little guys start to show off their adult colors and mature.

D322048D-78D7-4D7B-8468-741BE18F22B7.jpeg

It Is getting harder to get images of most of the slings, as the webbing in their enclosures is getting thicker and thicker. There are about 3 of the 8 enclosures where I can still easily see and image the slings in their web tunnels. For the remaining 5 slings, the webbing is so thick, I have to wait till the slings ventures out, other wise all I'm able to image are misty shadows.

It is truly amazing to me to raise a group of tiny slings. They have so much that is common amongst each other...and then there are the little behaviors that are unique to each of them.

And webbing...OMG these slings like to web. They are orders above the GBB when it comes to webbing.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
The Webs...They are a Plenty

7134B079-7F7C-41B0-89D8-1B655E19CAD8.jpeg

Most of the slings have moulted. Of the 8 slings there are 2 holdouts. And with this latest moult, there is distinct color changes on each sling...and the webbing of the enclosures has renewed with vigor.

I spent so much time trying to get images of the slings, I should’ve just taken a couple images of some enclosures and said, “Somewhere in this crazy webbed up enclosure...is a beautiful spider. Now go find it.