Does anyone keep banana spiders

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
and who says T's are the only large spiders? :D I'm sure i've said this before on this forum in another thread about Nephila's...but when I first moved down here I was driving down a neighborhood road with trees on either side and saw something floating in the air above the road. Turned out to be a "banana spider" that had a web spun between the tree branches a good 15 feet in the air and were not growing over the road ;) The spider itself wasn't all that huge (not like the pic on the previous page...that's insane!) but the web was...

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey edesign i used to live in lake charles and numerous other louisiana places, They seem to love to bunch together you know 3ft radius web here, another one there and about 20 more between those 6 trees.... the one type of spider that really gives me goosebumps

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lots of food there? maybe a good bug migration spot, winds just right etc?

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 4" female Nephila madagascariensis that is kept in a large srorage bin without set on end (the long way) the lid and she is doing great! She has a decent sized orb web and eats very well. I've had her for over 9 months and she has molted once and is nearing another :D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
hey edesign i used to live in lake charles and numerous other louisiana places, They seem to love to bunch together you know 3ft radius web here, another one there and about 20 more between those 6 trees.... the one type of spider that really gives me goosebumps
i know EXACTLY what you mean...they kinda creep me out seeing them like that too lol. I refuse to walk around in the woods here, just ain't happenin' :D (i still have some arachnophobia...I don't mind spiders, I just don't like em on me unless they're under an inch or so)

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No idea where you can get one.

You could try building a box frame to house one- I've seen this done with orb weavers. Basically a wooden box that stands on end, with plexiglass "windows" and an open bottom to facilitate clean up after the spider.

I've also heard of people who keep Nephila madagascariensis who allow the spider to inhabit a corner of a room.