Does anyone here have any spiders?

iucandi

Arachnopeon
Spiders: I need beginner information

Hey,

I love Tarantulas, especially the ones that are web crazy. This favoritism has led me down the path of thinking about getting a spider. I'm interested in those that spin webs to capture their food. what kind of spiders are out there and what's the upkeep on them? THanks a lot

Last edited:

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from the sound of it, you are asking about the Latrodectus (widow) spiders. They are, I think, by far the most incredible web builders/snarers that are easy to keep. Check your inbox, I just PM'd you...

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep a little spider I found in my woodpile...saved it from freezing to death when temps were unusually cold and snowy here. I thought at first it was a wolfspider, but now I'm not sure as it has built a pretty nice web in its container. I'm thinking it's probably some sort of Tegeneria. Maybe once it gets a little bigger, I'll take pics and post so that someone more knowledgeable about these things can ID it for me.

iucandi

Arachnopeon
I keep a little spider I found in my woodpile...saved it from freezing to death when temps were unusually cold and snowy here. I thought at first it was a wolfspider, but now I'm not sure as it has built a pretty nice web in its container. I'm thinking it's probably some sort of Tegeneria. Maybe once it gets a little bigger, I'll take pics and post so that someone more knowledgeable about these things can ID it for me.
I'll be looking out for your pictures- i'm quite interested

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a handfull of stedotea around my house. Very hardy.

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steatoda is the right spelling guys !

but i think Latrodectus species is the better out of the bunch.

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when the weather warms up over here i am being sent a tegenaria egg sac. i always look out for spiders round my house to keep as i find it interesting watching all the ways they catch there prey.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Used to have a Heteropoda venatoria, that I raised from a miniscule sling. Feeding time was a show, watching it teleport to catch prey before it hit the bottom. Good times. I'll have to get another sometime.
The only non-theraphosid I have now looks like some kind of Araneus, that I sometimes find in tubs of crickets. It won't build an orb-web, as orb-weavers tend not to do in captivity, but it very eagerly takes small crickets from tweezers.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right now I have a Cheiracanthium inclusum ( yellow sac spider ), and a Herpyllus ecclesiasticus ( "parson spider" ). Both are under an inch in legspan, but they are faster than some wolfspiders! Herpyllus are one of the fastest spiders in Michigan, certainly the fastest their size. I don't recommend the sac spider, as they are difficult to get feeding, but I usually don't have a problem with parson spiders--they are terrestrial for one thing, and voracious also. The hardest part is catching the crazy things!

The Steatodas mentioned are really easy to keep--just give them sticks to make a web on. No water dish, minimal misting if any. Room temps are fine.

If you have a basement, you might be able to find Tegenaria as well. I HIGHLY recommend these--they are wonderful for true spider beginners. Largish, easy to keep, hungry, non-defensive, and they make a cool funnel web. They are very easy to find as well, since they are literally nearly everywhere.

Wolf spiders are another great option: large, hungry, active, easy to keep, fairly easy to find, and non-venomous ( though they WILL bite ).

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two Tegenaria, one large duellica and a smaller agrestis they are great spiders. I also have a Steatoda grossa which is VERY easy to keep and all of them I caught around the house. I actually have different color variations of the S.grossa in my basement. some all black some with very elaborate designs on the abdomen. so perhaps a look around your home (or someone you elses) would provide you with a good pet :D

Helio

Arachnopeon
I have 3 Loxosceles laeta females, 2 Pirata sp. fem and male, a Lycosa erythrognatha female, 2 salticidae whose spp I don't know yet both females, a orb weaver i don't know the sp female, a dolomedes sp. male.
That's all folks!

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i've been thinking more and more about spiders other than tarantulas..but so far i only have a bunch of P. johnsoni. not big on webbing, but are fascinating little spiders that look pretty nice too. i've been playing with the idea of getting a Latro..but not sure how that would fly with my roommates. i guess i could just not tell them and they'd never notice amongst my other critters. {D

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I keep a good amount of true spiders in most of my terrariums....they kill off knats and other pests I get in on live plants. Not sure of the sp. but there the tiny ones you find in the gaps on the facings of the side of your house.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Other than the really sad ones in my basement that never catch any food, No no true spiders. Well I think I had some jumpers in my Ant terrium. Wouldn't be surprised if they were still in their.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have a couple of red jumpers, a L. hesperus and a Dysdera crocata. Along with whatever else happens to be crawling on my floors :D

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wolf spiders aren't web spinners, but they can be impressive.

I got this WC beastie in trade from a lady in Austin.

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the tegenaria egg sac arrived today and already there are tiny little spiderlings running around the container