Does anyone have picts of adult Singapore Violets?

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Another example of why common names should be avoided...

However, since common names do persist in the American hobby, dealers here do need to use them; but use them correctly. "Singapore Violet", as advertised by some dealers, is incorrect (since these names are technically incorrect anyway, that is admittedly both redundant and open to debate and interpretation). However, I submit to you, that the name "Malaysian Blue-femur" (or Malaysian "Violet"-femur) is more appropriate and is more well known. There is even debate whether this species, Lampropelma violaceopes, is found in Singapore.

Cheers, Michael

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
the "more purple" spider that was mentioned earlier wouldnt be a P. Nigricolor would it?
a pic of one can be seen on tangled wwweb not sure of the exact URL

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I think they were still on the area of Old world Haplopelma, Cyropagapus and Lampropelma violaceopes

tkn0spdr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is the only pic I've seen of this species that looks this purple. Is this 'color corrected'?

Click me

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
tkn0spdr said:
This is the only pic I've seen of this species that looks this purple. Is this 'color corrected'?

Click me
That's A. purpurea, sort of offtopic for the thread, but, no, I do not believe that picture is color corrected. They are a very dark purple in person and look sort of bluish-black, but when the light hits them right, very beautiful purple. That pic is probably just an effect of the flash.

I often take flash photos of my Ts just to see what they "really" look like ;)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
Hi Michael,

I thought "Malaysian Blue femur" is one of the pet trade names for the species also known in the pet trade as "Lampropelma violaceopes",
Hello Martin,

It is (although I am hesitant to enter any discussion about "common" names
;) ). That was the point of my post.

I assume that this thread was started due to the fact that some US dealers are referring to "L. violaceopes" as "Singapore Violet". Somewhere along the way the thread blew off course to include other purple and blue spiders!

Cheers, Michael

Aranea

Arachnopeon
Helo Guys!
"Lampropelma violaceopes" its one of my favorite!
I have some slings and one adult female.
and i really want to show some pics!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is anyone certain that the pic of the spider posted by Lopez is in fact a Cyriopagopus sp. Singapore Blue? I've seen this pic before and have been trying to find out forever what this T is! If it is, do they normally look this purple or is it a result of the lighting? I thought they usually look much more blue than that.

Thanks,
Karen

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It was nice to see some pics of the spider that is most likely L.violaceopes, thanks Martin and Leon ;)

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, juv/sub-adult female Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" tend to look more purple than blue as you can see in the picture by Lopez. As they become adults they seem to loose the purple-ish colour and become an intense blue much like H. lividum.
Hope this clears things up! :)