Does anyone else wish that mature males lived longer?

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
What mature females do you have?
Right now I have a mature female C.Minax and a mature female E.Murinus. All my other mature females died in the heater malfunction (came home to my tarantula room at 127°F according to the temp gun) or had to be sold when I got laid off two months later.
Now that money is coming in again, and we've got back bills paid, I've been focusing on buying slings and juveniles again to build the numbers back up so I can get back in the game next year.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
@cold blood no it's just hard to sell 100+ spiders because we are a really small country. All countries around me have a strong market so noone would buy outside their own country.. I would risk not being able to sell them all and be left with 50 slings on top of what I have now.. I have enough food to support them, but as they grow I couldn't provide 50 enclosures for juvies and still profit from them if I manage to sell.. We have zero cheap containers here.. It sucks beyond belief.

cold blood

Staff member
Then yeah he's definitely not in winter. I used to live in Raleigh and we didn't see winter really until January- February.
Yeah, but at least Andy and the gang stopped through from time to time.https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NPYKZobZAz0/maxresdefault.jpg

Right now I have a mature female C.Minax and a mature female E.Murinus. All my other mature females died in the heater malfunction (came home to my tarantula room at 127°F according to the temp gun) or had to be sold when I got laid off two months later.
Now that money is coming in again, and we've got back bills paid, I've been focusing on buying slings and juveniles again to build the numbers back up so I can get back in the game next year.
Man, I don't know whether to click like, sad or what.....I had my furnace do that while I was up north in mid-summer a few years ago...it was 110 in the room...but nothing died on me...127 is a whole nuther world of hurt.

You will be built back up in no time.

cold blood

Staff member
@cold blood no it's just hard to sell 100+ spiders because we are a really small country. All countries around me have a strong market so noone would buy outside their own country.. I would risk not being able to sell them all and be left with 50 slings on top of what I have now.. I have enough food to support them, but as they grow I couldn't provide 50 enclosures for juvies and still profit from them if I manage to sell.. We have zero cheap containers here.. It sucks beyond belief.
That makes sense.
@cold blood glad my misery amuses you :p :p
That my friend was a mis-click:wideyed:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Does anyone else wish that mature males lived longer?

Actually, no. Their lifespan is the right one, the one given to them by Mother Nature.

1.0 when they turn MM lives only for continue the existence of their specie. A noble thing... wish that Europeans were the same :-s

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Man, I don't know whether to click like, sad or what.....I had my furnace do that while I was up north in mid-summer a few years ago...it was 110 in the room...but nothing died on me...127 is a whole nuther world of hurt.

I sincerely hope so. Even then I was always buying slings. Some of those mature females were raised from .25"-.5" slings. My P.Ruffilata, P.Ornata, P.Tigrinawesseli, P.Ornata/vittata hybrid (who wasn't going to be bred but I liked them ever since I saw Jon3800's) B.Smithi and N. Chromatus were like family. I had them through good and bad for years.

cold blood

Staff member

I sincerely hope so. Even then I was always buying slings. Some of those mature females were raised from .25"-.5" slings. My P.Ruffilata, P.Ornata, P.Tigrinawesseli, P.Ornata/vittata hybrid (who wasn't going to be bred but I liked them ever since I saw Jon3800's) B.Smithi and N. Chromatus were like family. I had them through good and bad for years.
Well, maybe I can help this summer. Just had a sac of regalis that I showed you already...today my chromatus dropped a sac, my vitatta looks very gravid and could drop at any time (same for striata) and I am getting a MM ornata in a few days. Smithi is in the near future and I have been actively pairing GBB females (with no success).

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Well, maybe I can help this summer. Just had a sac of regalis that I showed you already...today my chromatus dropped a sac, my vitatta looks very gravid and could drop at any time (same for striata) and I am getting a MM ornata in a few days. Smithi is in the near future and I have been actively pairing GBB females (with no success).
It looks like you will be able to. I'm waiting with rapt attention. My dude Chamez also has a regalis sac so I'm going to be buying from both of you. That way when the time comes in a couple years, we have two slightly separate blood lines. Also, everyone I know who breeds GBBs says it's the trickiest dice game ever.

cold blood

Staff member
Also, everyone I know who breeds GBBs says it's the trickiest dice game ever.
Its been an ongoing endeavor. I'm on my second MM....the first is simply too old.

I went in expecting aggression from the female, but haven't seen any of that...just really cautious MMs that take hours to approach the female...then turn and walk away...its easily the most boring and drawn out process I have ever experienced. Really makes me appreciate the Psalms, Nhandu and others that just get right to it and are done in like 2 minutes and dropping a sac a month or three later.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Its been an ongoing endeavor. I'm on my second MM....the first is simply too old.

I went in expecting aggression from the female, but haven't seen any of that...just really cautious MMs that take hours to approach the female...then turn and walk away...its easily the most boring and drawn out process I have ever experienced. Really makes me appreciate the Psalms, Nhandu and others that just get right to it and are done in like 2 minutes and dropping a sac a month or three later.
There's always baboon breeding. Takes all of about 30 seconds and then the male is out of there as fast as he can scramble

cold blood

Staff member
There's always baboon breeding. Takes all of about 30 seconds and then the male is out of there as fast as he can scramble
Ha...I bred A. ezendami. No interest for several attempts...finally I decided to co-hab...literally within 2 minutes of closing the lid she was eating him. To this day I think he got a palp in while he was being eaten.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Ha...I bred A. ezendami. No interest for several attempts...finally I decided to co-hab...literally within 2 minutes of closing the lid she was eating him. To this day I think he got a palp in while he was being eaten.
I'd hate to be a male baboon. The females of those species are just brutal. The pairings I've assisted in all lasted about 30-45 seconds before the male channeled OJ Simpson and picked up some serious rushing yards, or pulled a Jay Cutler and failed to get out of the back field in time.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Of course. I'm sure every one wished males and females had the same lifespans.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Yeah, guys, it was a GOT reference, haha. Personally I miss the winter, I used to live in Wyoming so I know what a real winter is!