Does anybody know about solifugids?

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Particularly the giant ones? I think they're pretty cool, but I've also read that they usually only live for a few months. True?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugids of the family Galeodidae are commonly known as giant species, with Galeodes arabs and Galeodes caspius, being the largest solifugid species known. The solifugids commonly imported as "Egytpian giants" are of the family Galeodidae. A solifugids life cycle is usually over in no more than a year, even in the wild. Large species tend to live the longest. Are you thinking of keeping one?

Alex S.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Are you thinking of keeping one?"

Since they only live a year, I'm not really thinking of getting ONE. I wouldn't mind getting a few, if they're easy to breed.

Actually, I am sort of thinking about getting one, but given their short lifespan I'd have to find a very small one. I'd hate to spend $30 on a 5 inch specimen, and have it die a week later of old age.

If they are easy to breed, though, I'm definitely considering it.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I hate to tell you, but, Solifugae are EXTREMELY hard to breed. I will be attempting with Eremobatidae soon. The best thing to do would be to pay no more than $20 for a sub-adult (around 2" body length) Galeodid specimen. If you want captive care tips feel free to ask.

Alex S.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Alex S.
I hate to tell you, but, Solifugae are EXTREMELY hard to breed. I will be attempting with Eremobatidae soon. The best thing to do would be to pay no more than $20 for a sub-adult (around 2" body length) Galeodid specimen. If you want captive care tips feel free to ask.

Alex S.
Hey Alex, did you ever get those red solifugids from Todd yet?
BTW, the adult egyptian solifugid I got at the IRBA show in 97 was 17.00 and it lived for 8 months even though it was already adult sized. I must get another!
Ed

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Ed, no, Todd coudnt get them. They are an awesome species though, of the family Solpugidae.

Yeah, thats great that you kept your Galeodid specimen alive that long! The giant species, such as of the family Galeodidae are the longest lived solifugids. I highly encourage you to get another one. Awesome animals.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Todd, hows it going man, your finally posting the pic of the Rhagodidae on the site. Thats awesome! Im sure everyone will be amazed to see a black species of Solifugae.

Alex S.

T

Todd

Solifugid page is updated today!

Alex and other solifugid keepers,

http://www.tarantulaspiders.com/pages/solifugid.htm

is updated now with new pics, info and of course what you have all been waiting for: pics of Rhagodes sp. from Egypt !!!

Please pass this page and update around the hobby's other sites, forums and societies that have info and interest in these bizarre creatures. Thanks.

Todd
---------

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks great Todd! Beautiful specimens! Also if anyone has any questions mine and Todds e-mail are at the bottom of the page.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Zeria lawrenci

Also Todd, if it is not to much trouble, "Xeria lawrenci" is spelled "Zeria lawrenci". Sorry about that, I must have hit the X key instaed of the Z when typing. The page looks great man!

Alex S.

Willm

Arachnopeon
Solifugid

The sucessful way to keep solifugids is give them lots of room and lots fo sand 4 to 5 inches deep and 4 to 6 crickets a day!

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae

Hello Willm, there is more to keeping Solifugae then that:

Housing:

The 5"+ of sand needs to me slightly moist to allow for adequate burrowing. Pieces of cork bark and half of clay pots should be added to the surface for terrestrial hiding and to encourage burrowing as solifugids often start their burrow in the wild using rocks or logs. A 5-10 gallon container is suitable for most solifugids.

Feeding:

5-6 crickets is a little too much, around 3 a day is more healthy. Yes solifugids are eating machines but they can become lethargic.

Temperature:

You need adequate temperature of around 80 degrees F to keep the solifugid active and healthy. A desk lamp placed a few inches from the enclosure works well.

Alex S.

Last edited:
T

Todd

Rhagodes sp. "Egyptian Giant Black" available soon!

For serious Solifugid collectors, I expect to have the rare Rhagodes sp. "Egytian Black Solifugids" in-stock the week of Sep. 3-6. I'm taking reservations now. These things are truly bizarre and much different looking the large, yellow Galeodes spp. normally imported.

Todd
www.tarantulaspiders.com
sales@tarantulaspiders.com

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very nice Todd...

Great job on the addition to the site Todd. Very well done indeed.
Phil