Do you spray your P.irminia enclosures regularly?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
And how often do you see your psychotic little lovelys?

Do they have huge "dirt curtains" or deep burrows that are heavily webbed on the side of the enclosure with small openings or do they have tunnels and retreats similar to young poecilotheria sp?

Do you catch glimpses of your little beasts with half of there bodies protruding from there holes or better yet do you catch them regularly wandering there enclosures at night, Even when they have recently fed?

I'm not asking for care advice as I'm very familiar with keeping this species. I'm just curious if you use a spray bottle to lightly mist( I.E.not even enough to cause water droplets to roll down onto the sub) there enclosure every few days or not, how often do you see more than there toes, do they have retreats with large entrances and exits or small entry points to there "burrow"...

Thanks

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
mine are out every day numerous times. maybe it has something to do with my space heater being near my shelf... i do see all my spiders pretty regularly... IME, their web tunnels and curtains are more elaborate than Poecilotheria slings. i dont spray any of my Psalmos, their cages are wet enough and they have a water bowl. i only really spray for avics.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
mine webs a distinctive thick but skinny web tunnel from the ground up and from the looks of it she also burrows an inch or two down into the substrate. I never see my irminia and I mist mine slightly less than my cambridgei

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have only one irminia. Sub female...

I have moss at the base of her tube between it and waterdish. I overflow the dish onto moss whenever it dries out and I mist side of glass only a little maybe every4 days . I do same with other Psalmos but the have little to no moss in comparison.

I was concerned as I had not seen her for months when I bought her but she moulted couple of months ago and now out every second week if I am lucky to catch her.

My pulcher, langenbucheri and ecclesiasticus are out always although my irminia is not.

I have only seen legs of my rednucus once since early september :(

Last edited:

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Mine's still a wee babeh so I can't account for adults. I do see mine every day thanks to @Abyss He made a custom enclosure specifically for P. irminia viewing. hehehe can't hide from me sneaky devil.

Edit: forgot to answer the original question :s All I do for humidity is over flow the dish.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
my 3" has a massive web curtain/burrow along the 2 sides of its enclosure, forming an L shape. I do mist it with a spray bottle every few days on the wall facing her burrow and about 2 sprays on the substrate..

As far as seeing it goes.. I see the front legs about once a week, but I havent seen it whole in about two months.. I try to lure it out by placing dubias on their back near their entry but they don't fall for that :p

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I have 2 slings and i keep them exactly like all my other arboreal slings (which are all avics). So far they seem to be doing fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And how often do you see your psychotic little lovelys?

Do they have huge "dirt curtains" or deep burrows that are heavily webbed on the side of the enclosure with small openings or do they have tunnels and retreats similar to young poecilotheria sp?

Do you catch glimpses of your little beasts with half of there bodies protruding from there holes or better yet do you catch them regularly wandering there enclosures at night, Even when they have recently fed?

I'm not asking for care advice as I'm very familiar with keeping this species. I'm just curious if you use a spray bottle to lightly mist( I.E.not even enough to cause water droplets to roll down onto the sub) there enclosure every few days or not, how often do you see more than there toes, do they have retreats with large entrances and exits or small entry points to there "burrow"...

Thanks
I don't spray them at all, just a water bowl.

2. Rarely see irminia, particularly photosensitive too. If anything, I see their feet.

3. Can have dirt curtains, and also burrow/dirt curtain combo actually in my case. Compared to P. rufilata (dirt curtain), irminia def. more tunnel

4. I never see them, except when they pop out of tunnel desperate for a cricket hah. I'm pretty sure the one I have now is a male. My female didn't do that at all.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
She has been out wandering around after overflowing water dish tonight,,

Got a moment to take a snap :)

final (2).jpg

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My adult female stayed arboreal as a sling to juvenile. I rehoused her to adult enclosure at about 3 inches. She burrowed and has elevated her dirt from about 3 inches to about 5 inches. She goes through cycles where I see her out almost daily for a week or so, then not at all for months. I cause "heavy rains" in many of my enclosures every few months, but don't mist. They all have water bowls.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I don't spray them at all, just a water bowl.

2. Rarely see irminia, particularly photosensitive too. If anything, I see their feet.

3. Can have dirt curtains, and also burrow/dirt curtain combo actually in my case. Compared to P. rufilata (dirt curtain), irminia def. more tunnel

4. I never see them, except when they pop out of tunnel desperate for a cricket hah. I'm pretty sure the one I have now is a male. My female didn't do that at all.
I'm actually glad you posted this. P. irminia was my second tarantula, and I kept it on bone dry substrate from the point of juvenile on up. I was actually going to say that I probably wouldn't do that again if I were to get another, but my experience with this species is 100% identical to yours. They're a ghost.

cold blood

Staff member
I find that the smaller they are, the more you see them. Some are out all the time when young, a product of always being hungry I think. Since my female matured last year, I've seen her for a few minutes just six separate times.

I keep Psalm slings in deli cups with water dishes. Weekly I fill all the dishes and dampen the sub down. In a few days it dries and a few days later I repeat the process. They are pretty resilient, and can deal with both high and low moisture levels IME, equally as well....they just desire food often. When small they're either hunting, or hiding, preparing for a molt.

Cams hide a whole lot less, especially as they gain size...which they do even faster then irminia.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thank you to all of you that responded.

The reason I posted this thread is because I have noticed that my irminia are more visible when I keep the sub on the drier side and mist the walls of the enclosure 2x-3x times a week..

I also noticed that when given moist sub only with no misting there retreats seem to be more closed off, narrower entrances and exits, more sub and web built up along the side of the enclosure almost as if they are insulating there burrows to hold in humidity..

This is the second group that I have raised on dry(ish) sub with more moisture in the enclosure and I feel like they are visible more often when raised this way..

This is just my observations and the behavior could be coincidence as much as environmental factors but I wanted to see if any/many others that maintained this species similarly observed the same behavior.

These are kind of crappy pics but I feel it illustrates my point.. Even while in there burrows they are easy to see... The enclosures aren't kept this wet I sprayed this little one heavy yesterday as I work alot lately and don't want to have to water them again untill mid week.. I like to let the enclosures dry significantly for a day or so between mistings.. 20161126_110918.jpg 20161126_110907.jpg 20161126_110940.jpg

Last edited:

Tygarys

Arachnopeon
Has anyone tried a red light? I picked up one these a few months ago and changed its light to red. Now I see it out more often, before it never left its hide during the day. You don't get to see the colors this way, but you can see them moving around at least.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My P. irminia sling at first just built a dirt curtain on the back of its cork bark but after its most recent molt it has been out and about more and has been webbing up the rest of the enclosure quite a bit (32oz deli) with some nice tunnels. As far as moisture, I have a water bottle cap water dish and a couple of times a week I'll either overflow it a bit or dribble some water on the sub/webbing/sphagnum moss with a pipette. I like to keep the sub a bit moist. As far as seeing it...as everyone knows they're super reclusive but I do use a red light and it is much less likely to bolt with that so sometimes at night I can see it out and about. No clue how in the world I'm ever going to sex the thing...maybe when I rehouse as it is getting a bit big for the deli container.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'm raising my second batch of P. irminia slings, the offspring from my male. I'm keeping these ones on coarse vermiculite, and they don't make "dirt curtains" because they don't have dirt. I spray the sides of the enclosures at the same time as I feed, so every 5-7 days. I gave up on giving them water dishes because they would immediately be filled with substrate and webbed over. These ones are out a lot - they have webbed some, but nothing like what my last batch of irminias did, when kept on coco fiber.

DcubeD

Arachnopeon
Don't spray, just water dishes in the coco fibre-soil substrate for the 4 month old slings. One P. i makes dirt curtains (coco curtains?), the other just hammocks. Dirt-Curtain-dude has dug into the coco for a hide and will often come out only in ambient light. Hammock-dude does whatever Hammock-dude wants, whenever it wants, but does it at a faster pace than I can usually catch on camera.

IMG_4826.JPG IMG_4901.JPG

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't spray mine at all, I just put some sphagnum moss around the water dish which I overflow every now and again.

This is the web tube it made which has some dirt and moss incorporated into it and I did catch it out on the cork a few days ago

Attachments