do you get depressed about your T when....

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you raise it as a juvi/sling and it molts into a male? i do .. it sucks since then you figure they only ahve a year and some change to live .. well i do .. im very attached to my pets and its like a death certificate ..... well my rose molted into a male.. crap.. and honestly outa all my T's my rose had the most personality ... this is def some grimmey chiznit...:wall: :(

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah- especially when you have 4 or 5 in a row......within 2 months! Lol! It sucks, but I sell the males or trade them and they get to "do their thang" and I get some new T's!

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My eldest juvie G. pulchra molted the other night. sexed it as a Male. However, my B. auratum spiderling also molted this week - turned out Female. Just the luck of the draw is all. For a few years, I had a bad streak with males, but the tides are turning in my favor now. Just gotta stick it out long enough. A B. smithi I raised from 1/4" I was able to sex last year - female. I have a spiderling too and it's about a molt away from me being able to sex it accurately. If it turns out to be a male I won't feel bad since I already have a female lol. I also got a 4-pack of A. geroldi so unless the odds are really against me, I should get at least one male and one female. :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i imagine it would suck if u only have one and its some super rare species but in general i have no problem with spiders being males.that means i can breed more species and also gives me an exuse to buy another t lol:D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No. It takes two to tango, and males can be sent out to many females and hopefully produce multiple egg sacs.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I get very depressed. All of my Ts are my babies and it is very painful for me to know they have a very limited life left to them. I still try to breed them. I do that so that they can do what their instincts are screaming at them to do, and for the hope of slings, and I always have my males returned after the mating if they survive. Then they spend their "golden years" being loved and cherished.
My last 3 that have moulted out mature had hooks. My A. avic, my A. purpurea, and my GBB. The avic avic is back and still doing well, the GBB didn't live through the mating, and the purple is still out.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i to couldn't care less as it 50 / 50 chance and as with all things you win some you lose some thats the way it goes

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont mind, if its a cheap species i buy a female, if its a rare one, ill just send it on a breeding loan and hope to get some babies in return

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I don't get depressed...I get irritated :) I'm 0 for 2 for sending out males to mate and now I have a male A. huriana that is probably going to put me at 0 for 3 :rolleyes:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do they even make female Avicularias? I think thats all I have ever raised of that genus with the exception of a female A avic I used to have. I know I have raised 5 versi males and seems like 3 purpurea males. Good thing I'm not a big Avic fan, huh?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do they even make female Avicularias?
lol, yes, Brian, they do come in female. I currently have a female A. avic and a female A. purpurea. Don't know about my minatrix or my bicegoi yet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I like the T a little bit extra, well hell yes I care! When I see personality I really enjoy, I want that personality to grow in a big chunky beautiful body, not become a scrawny little rascal, running around starving itself to death within a loooong spacewasting year.

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with what some others have said. At least its an excuse to get another T! Its a natural cycle, dont let it get you too bummed.

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea i undertsand what some of you are saying... to them though its crappy im real attached to my T's and i dunno.. its crappy when you raise em up then they have that one molt and its like ....arg..... you have 1 year left ... i dunno thatnks for the input everyone

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love it, since I like to breed mine and since I usually have enough of each species to match unrelated males to females. The rare few that I don't have a match for, I'll send out on a breeding loan. So far, I've received slings back in 1 out of 24 wandering males. It's definitely a crap shoot.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Males vs females

I started my collection with a redknee unsexed, and it looks like a male to me at 3 inches. Im a newbie tho, so I may be wrong;) . Anyways, I buy nothing but females now, A. avic, B. boehmei, etc... I have a G. aureo sling and if it is male I will mate it out:? ....Im not sure about sending out my redknee to be mated, I would miss him too much and be if fear of how the new person would treat him, lol...I get too attached to have them pass in a few years...:(