do they know where the door is?

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My chilean rose spiderling has a half a coconut to live in, and a few days ago, he completly blocked the entrance with dirt, there's no way that I can see to get in or out of there, is this normal behaviour? Could he be going dormant for a while? And I was just wondering how he can get his water if he never leaves? He hasn't eaten since march break when he molted, but I'm not too worried about that. Should I try to get him some more moisture be stepping up the humidity a bit or just leave him? Also, this is probably a stupid question, but once he decides to come out of the coconut, how will he know which way to go? Would he just pick a direction and dig in that way? Anywany, last time I saw him, his abdomen was nice and plump and he didn't seem to be lacking in anything.

Katy

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
that's a great question for us fellow newbies to await a reply with baited breath. :)

i once heard of an octopus (exceedingly intelligent) who built a barricade with shells around his burrow that ended up trapping him.

however, i'd imagine since it's just soil that your guy could easily dig himself out.

this though is a completely novice view. :)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
btw, how big is your sling? i'm supposed to get three today, at least two being 1/2". i'm very excited.

i currently have 1 G. rosea who is 3" and a total docile sweetheart. :)

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't be worried. They know how to find the door and get out. The little guy probably wants some privacy or to get away from the light and chill in some darkness. Just keep the water dish filled and fresh and keep trying to feed every week or two. There are plenty of people who seemingly "care for dirt".

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You said it last molted in March? And its a sling? It might be time for another molt. As for food, T's can live a LONG time with out food.. As for water.. ummmm.... Im not to sure about that one. But you haft to remember its a living animal, trying to survive. So its doing what it thinks is right.. It will push the dirst away if it gets hungry, or wants some water. Just keep filling it water dish. and I wouldnt put any crickets in until it comes out. Hope this helps:)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i personally find the idea of caring for shy dirt endearing. (grin)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
don't worry!

2 of my roseas did that into their adult life (now)... and the last time one did that, i tore into the whole closed-off shell to find an eggsac (i knew thats why she barracaded herself in there that time) --

just a privacy or molt thing. make sure the humidity and water levels stay up, and fear not... while they seem to have smaller brains than us, their instinct is far greater, and, as previously mentioned, they are doing what they need to in order to survive.

i would say, however, to try to check up after a certain point.. what that point is, i can't say... i waited three weeks to check on my gravid mamma, but who can say?

for now, let the sling be and enjoy the dirt. oh yes, don't worry, also! :)

pce,
dave

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He's about 1 1/2 inches in legspan, he's not exactle a sweet little guy, but not entirely bad tempered either, he tolerates me, I've had him since january. I moistened the dirt around the coconut, and I'm keeping the water dish full too. I didn't even consider that he might be molting, just because i read that chilean roses have a slow growth rate, and when he molted in march, he did it right outside the film canister he was living in then in plain view, maybe he's gotten a little shy!

Katy

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
G.rosea is well known for making their owners nuts with their whacky ways. Sometimes I think they much smarter creatures than they get credit for, as they tend to mess with our emotions. You might have, or are, experiencing this with yours... ! week you can hold it with no problem, next you know it's made a burrow and you have no idea what it's doing, then they eat like a pig for 3 weeks, only to not eat again for 7 months. Just enjoy "caring for shy dirt" as skadiwolf put it until you can't handle it anymore and can't fight the urge to dig her out to check on her

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
until you can't handle it anymore and can't fight the urge to dig her out to check on her
you put it so much better than I did!! That's exactly what i was trying to say -- don't worry, but just wait untill you NEED to dig the T up! Theres a fine line between leaving a T be and seriously checking on it -- so use your own discretion!

pce
dave

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I sure do love that shy dirt, it's so nice, and doesn't even flick hairs at you! ya i think i'll wait a few weeks before i get worried, i wouldn't want to freak him out in the middle of a molt. and yes, he is weird!

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) hmmmm the Ts know what they are doing ( well most of the time anyway) its us , the owners who get all confoozled:?