Do these grow fast or slow

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was talking to a few of my friends on aim and I asked both of them do if the B emilia grows slow or fast...one said it grows fast...one said it grows slow...so who is right???

And what about Lasiodora parahybana

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
On average

B. emelia are quite the slow growers.

L. parahybana, relatively quick.

But one of your friends may keep his slings in warm temps and powerfeed, while the other, relatively cool temps and/or slow feeding. Resulting in faster or slower growth between the two.

-Sean

Last edited:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The way I understand it, Brachys for the most part are really slow growers and parahybana is a pretty fast grower. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule but I think that generally speaking, this is pretty much the way it is.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brachy's seem to be slow growers early on. But with mine, it seems that once they get to a half-way point in size, then they start getting bigger much faster with each molt thereafter. I don't know if it's because they are stronger when they are bigger and can stretch their skin better after a molt before the skin dries or what.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was talking to a few of my friends on aim and I asked both of them do if the B emilia grows slow or fast...one said it grows fast...one said it grows slow...so who is right???

And what about Lasiodora parahybana
I was the friend who stated slow growth for emilia and relatively quick for parahybana, The emilia will be a slow grower, the parahybana will put lots of length on quickly in comparison to the brachy. They are great Ts none the less I want to pick up both soon. :D

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
growth

i have a b. emilia that i received from swift in dec. 2005; i keep it in the mid 70s and feed once a week. it molted a week or so ago and just hit an inch. it was around 1/4" when i got it. it's gonna be awhile before it reaches maturity. i'm not planning on speeding up growth any time soon.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have a b. emilia that i received from swift in dec. 2005; i keep it in the mid 70s and feed once a week. it molted a week or so ago and just hit an inch. it was around 1/4" when i got it. it's gonna be awhile before it reaches maturity. i'm not planning on speeding up growth any time soon.
???? Really? I have 100 emilia slings and they are all molting about once a month. I know thats going to slow down some when they get bigger but they are growing just fine now.
I find it unusual that they are only at 1" after over a year. Thats a little bizzar to me.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Not too unusual to me, one of mine is about two years old and is only just over an inch. It hasn't moulted in eight months. Another one I've had since September and it's still only half an inch.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What the heck really? What temps are you guys keeping them at? I have mine at 75-80. Feeding once every other week. I just pinch the head of a baby dubia and drop it in and they love them.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I don't keep track of what the temps are in my spider closet, but I keep them quite warm with an oil heater in the winter. House temps in the summer. When I was feeding it, (it hasn't eaten in at least six months) it ate a cricket every week.

I did have another B. emilia that was a little more regular with the moulting, every few months or so, maybe less, but that one was a male.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am glad I dont have to wait that long. I have two confirmed females that went from sling to 3"+ in less then two years. So I cant complain. I love how they look to...... tad bit skitish but nothing major I just have to steer clear of those darn hairs.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Yeah that's much faster than these guys. They are one of my favourite tarantulas as far as looks and temperament go, so I am anxious for them to actually grow up!:)