Do tarantulas sleep?

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Probably dream about being bigger than us, pinch grabbing us under our pits and showing us on camera asking "boy or girl?" and they are jealous that we get cupcakes so they probably dream about that, too. ;P
hahahaha {D

jondee84

Arachnopeon
Now that everyone has had the chance to show off with their big words etc, I'll go back to basics lol.....being a basic sorta person.

I find that all my Tarantulas (with the exception of slings) go into a daytime/energy saving mode. This is what I'd call sleep (to them), If I go to check or look at my T's then they usually do not budge, but I'm sure once they sense I'm there they go into their alert mode, obviously this varies with species etc etc, as when i mist the tank they will get out of the way pretty quickly.

So in a round-a-bout wayI think they have more of an energy saving sleep mode rather than literally having a state of being awake or a state of sleep.

braaandooon

Arachnopeon
kinda off topic, but dolphins don't sleep, they are voluntary breathers, if one were to sleep it would drown, im sure other sea dwelling mammals share this same trait, anyways....

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kinda off topic, but dolphins don't sleep, they are voluntary breathers, if one were to sleep it would drown, im sure other sea dwelling mammals share this same trait, anyways....
Actually one half of the brain sleep at a time. In this way, the animal is never completely unconscious, but it still gets the rest it needs. Some sharks do this too. some people call it "Sleep Swimming" but not all sharks have to stay moving. Im sure Ts have something unique too, I just don't know what it is.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen arboreals, P. fasciata male to be specific, hanging on the side of the tank, slowly drift off and start to the point where a few of his legs came unattached from the tank.

He actually did seem to be drifting off into a sleep state. I believe that all living things have some form of sleep. I think rest is more of a conscious state, or semi-conscious state, trance-like even at times, while sleep is a purely subconscious state. I would think that tarantulas do sleep, however, what sets humans apart from most animals that we're aware of, is that we have self-consciousness, self-image, self-awareness, an ability to find solutions to problems, to use logic, communicate, etc.; whereas in general we don't see other animals as possessing these abilities, at least not like we do.

My experiment I did in college (for an experimental psychology course) were regarding dreams and dream analysis, and the effect of conscious thought prior to sleep upon the subconscious mind.

I came to a personal conclusion that sleep is a form of subconscious communication. Of course that conclusion was outside the goal of the experiment, and wasn't statistically analyzed. Was just something I felt was true.

I personally believe that the majority of animals have no self-image or self-consciousness, but does that mean that they are always operating on a subconscious level (purely instinct) or do they have a conscious and a subconscious absent the self-image and logic capabilities?

Eventually we may know. I've also experienced what ??? said about touching a tarantula and it appearing to not even notice the first couple times.

Delayed reaction?

Deep sleep? How can that be determined? Just because their brain is not like ours doesn't necessarily mean they aren't capable of a sleep state.

Interesting topic though and something I have often wondered while enjoying looking at my ts! :)

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you, Sir! I was beginning to wonder...
:-D
I get the impression that nobody reads anymore, and the movie had a different name. But there's a few die hards out there who still have such books and stories on their shelves.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I get the impression that nobody reads anymore, and the movie had a different name. But there's a few die hards out there who still have such books and stories on their shelves.
I read, although I didn't read that book, but I understood the reference. I also haven't finished the movie, but someday I will.

Laarry

Arachnopeon
I think they do sleep. I have a pinktoe and she was slouched up against the wall of her tank and I had never seen her do that before so I went to check on her and when I opened the top of the tank she jumped up. I believe I woke her up from a nap.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read, although I didn't read that book, but I understood the reference. I also haven't finished the movie, but someday I will.
Just make sure you watch the director's cut. Great movie!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ive seen my pokies like lay down & rest.. weird they look kinda dead =/ I poked P striata once thinking it was dead.. sleeping turned around almost bit me
I know my emporer scorpion lays (digs in) down in Eco earth to rest :)

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
Ive seen my pokies like lay down & rest.. weird they look kinda dead =/ I poked P striata once thinking it was dead.. sleeping turned around almost bit me
I know my emporer scorpion lays (digs in) down in Eco earth to rest :)
Your P. striata goes into a death curl when it sleeps?

Mot

Arachnopeon
I know it's a very old thread but i would like to share some info. tarantulas do sleep their body's somewhat shut down but its unknown how and if they do it consequently but I've seen them do it before, they go into a curl position with position with their pedipalps and 2 long front legs and their other legs will be stretched out. At this stage your t should be on the ground and agensed something flat and not respond to minor movements on their enclosure but when you do completely awake them out of their so called sleep the will get startled and shoot into a hide or just go crazy. I've only seen my t do it once, P. Smithi. So I would imagine that they don't do it more then a few times a year if that. They don't sleep at day or night so they have no sleep patterns. They sleep when they feel they should.

Geocycle

Arachnopeon
That is simply anthropomorphizing them. Their physiology is completely alien to ours; you can't make any kind of comparison where a human is doing something.

...In short bursts. Certain Ts can move really fast, but they run out of steam inversely proportional to it. You might loose sight of that spider, but it's still nearby.
I don't know why but I found this to sound adorable. I don't know I guess I thought of them playing hide and seek.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
For the record, there are ways to tell if an animal is sleeping even if they don't have eyelids. My crested geckos don't have eyelids, but when they sleep, their "eyelashes" lower, almost as if they're sleepy. I'm sure if tarantulas sleep, there's some tell, just like other animals have.