Do tarantulas grow without molting?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Based on what?
To be fair my "evidence" is anecdotal as well as based in my personal experience. In the time since I joined the hobby and AB I haven't ever read an "I fed my spider until it exploded" threads. Certainly heavy feeding can lead to long fasts especially in a number of NW species but the tarantula will chose to fast rather then eat when it isn't hungry. I don't advocate throwing food at a tarantula that is fasting for any reason, but I don't limit my species to x number of crickets per week. If my G. porteri eats 2 crickets a week and doesn't start fasting, I go with it. My big tropicals will try to eat anything that moves no matter what they have already eaten right up to flipping on their backs to molt. If I ever manage to feed one of those guys enough that they aren't hungry I'll be shocked.

To my knowledge there isn't enough information available to determine the perfect diet and feeding routine for a tarantula. If there is something out there that you know of, I would really like to read it. I want to give my tarantulas the best care that I can and knowing more about their nutritional needs would certainly help me do that.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think the worry is that a tarantula will randomly explode from eating too much. I think the worry is that if it somehow falls or bumps/tweaks its abdomen when it's that full, the chance of a rupture or internal hemorrhage is much greater.

Attacop

Arachnopeon
I know a lot of people are saying that growing without a molt isn't possible, but seriously, my C. versiclor seems to have grown like half an inch since I got him! Probably just my imagination tho or maybe the feeding grew his abdomen, but yeah, I dont think thats possible. Nice spider, btw! :happy: