Do some T,s eat while in Pre-Molt?

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
Well i got my B.smithi 3-4cm a couple of weeks ago. The man who sold it too me said he was due a molt soon because all his other smithis the same age had molted recently.

Well the day i got it home i tried feeding him and he snapped the cricket up straight away. I feed him again a week ago, and he is eating a cricket at this very moment. He has got a lot darker in the weeks i have had him, and has got a big black spot on his abdomen.

So have you ever known T's to eat while in premolt?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well i got my B.smithi 3-4cm a couple of weeks ago. The man who sold it too me said he was due a molt soon because all his other smithis the same age had molted recently.

Well the day i got it home i tried feeding him and he snapped the cricket up straight away. I feed him again a week ago, and he is eating a cricket at this very moment. He has got a lot darker in the weeks i have had him, and has got a big black spot on his abdomen.

So have you ever known T's to eat while in premolt?
Yes, this can happen. some T's will stop eating months, weeks, or days before they molt. Some T's may eat up until the day they molt.

As far as the black spot on his abdomen that could just be from him kicking off uricating hairs so it leaves bald spots. however when a NW (new world) tarantula's colors get really really dull this means that its due for a molt soon.

Do you have any pictures you can show us or take some for us?

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say yes, some do. My GBB ate a few days before it's last molt. If I had been paying more attention to her I wouldn't have thrown the cricket in her cage...but I always check after a few hours and if they aren't gone I get them out.

~Fred

Last edited:

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
Its not a a bald spot because all the hair is there its just very black spot, while the rest of the abdomen is streched, dark grey and bald looking.

Thanks for the help.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my blondi ate the day before it moulted last time.

my smithi usually stops when its abdomen gets really dark but it does happen

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes the “piggies” will eat all the way up to a molt. I have a B. vagan that would probably eat while molting haha {D .

Steph

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes, i've had T's that eat the same day they molted.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have some that eat right up unitl they molt and some that don't. Recently I had a L. difficilis female that went about 30 days without eating before she molted.