Do scorpions need hides?

poizoni

Arachnopeon
After browsing through online feeding videos of scorplings and adult scorpions, I noticed that a lot of them are in setup with basically just substrate. For example H hottentotta just on sand. I currently give all my scorps hides, but im wondering if it’s considered bad to not give them any?

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Sometimes the hide is removed so viewers can see the scorpion take down and eat its prey. But yes, they need a hide. They are photophobic and nocturnal.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Yes, Yes, Yes...they need hides. Depending on species that could be substratum allowing for burrow formation, stacks of rocks, heavy leaf litter, cork bark, eggcrate...

Even sand loving species that actively hunt look for vegetation and scrapes to hide out under. Parabuthus granulatus is one of the only species I know of that is seen frequently actively hunting and moving in daylight...but even it looks for scrapes and vegetative shelter.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Define "need". Can they survive without one? Sure. Will they be stressed out without one? Pretty likely.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Need...as in healthy, proper care for health and well being and reproduction.

To say they would not need it but survive? That is comparable to saying...hey my dog that is chained up year round outside and looks like hell, is stressed but is still alive...so it doesn't need heat or cool or shelter.

The amazing ability of a species to endure horrid condition does not negate needs for its well being.

JenVegas

Arachnosquire
I don't want to speak for Albireo (partially because I might be wrong), but I interpreted their answer as, "Can they physically survive without one? Yes. Will they be remotely healthy? No."

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I don't want to speak for Albireo (partially because I might be wrong), but I interpreted their answer as, "Can they physically survive without one? Yes. Will they be remotely healthy? No."
Precisely what I meant, though I should know better than to be a pedantic literalist around other humans.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Too many owners of pets don’t know or don’t care about thrive vs survive.

I wish those same owners were subjected to the crappy conditions of their own pets.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Pedantry was noted Albireo, satirical and literal tone was also noted...my reply was not directed at you personally.

I made the reply for all who might miss that, for those who would read it and think it was condoning lack of them.

We see so many posts here that are from new owners, too often posts repeated showing me people do not tend to read other posts to see their question already answered.

poizoni

Arachnopeon
Thanks all for replying. Like I said, I would never put my scorps in a setup like this. I just see it so often with people who have large collections