Do Not Try This (H.gigas on my hand)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, i guess its just the different temp. of the different Ts.
One of my little slings snaps at anything, like over and over. i was pulling out a half eaten cricket and that thing tagged the tweezers 4 or 5 times..

they're a really cool T! little bulldozers :)

i still wouldn't reccomend handling them unless you have to/know the drill. I don't find them horribly defensive or aggressive, but at the same time, they're def no pet rock ;)

pce
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they're cool Ts!

and consequently it just molted last night!
absolutley stunning, it looks.

i suppose i could have written that last sentence normally, but i didn't.

will post post-molt pics soon.
:)

peace
dave

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
so no other gigas pics, huh? ;P
pce
dave
Sorry bro.
Can't take a picture of what you can see.
Every once in a while I'll see a leg sticking out of the burrow, but that been it for over a year now..:rolleyes:

Ern

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i fugre most gigas are hidden in their underground caves, but i figured there had to be a couple out there peeking out?

i think once this guy hardens up he'll be doing the gigas thing. might as well enjoy the chance to interact now!

peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they have good molt records....

i believe mine molted upright too, but i'm not too sure. i caught the VERY end of the molt with the T splayed out on top of the exuvium.... and the exuvium was facing up, so unless the T turned it over and then layed on top... ;)

man i wish i would have caught that earlier...

peace
dave

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a 7" gigas female...haven't handled her yet though. She's got some fangs lemme tell ya. The hissing doesn't encourage me holding her either hehe. She's very orange colored at the moment so she'll be molting soon!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, the stridulating makes you take a step back :)

but my deal with holding more of the 'rough' species is simple:
you just let them climb up the cage side onto your hand..

of course the general disclaimers apply, but i find it much more easier...

they can give you quite an angry show though ;)

peace
dave

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Quote: "and consequently it just molted last night!
absolutley stunning, it looks.

i suppose i could have written that last sentence normally, but i didn't."

Ok, Yoda ;P

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Well here is a pic I snapped when I got home from work this morning, she wasnt hiding under her plant for a change as it was still dark in the room. Anyways She isnt on my hand but she is a little intimidating at 5 - 6"

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the color...

All the pics I have seen of H. gigas they look like a chocolate brown color, but the only one I ever saw in a store was about 6" - 7" and was a orangish brown kind of color. Do they look that way normally up close or are the pics accurate in regard to color?

Duh... Brain fart! Just realized I'm thinking of C. Crawshei or how ever you spell it... I'm not that well versed with OW species obviously, lol!!:?

Still though, the "rusty red" is H.gigas right? And I HAVE seen pics that they looked a very rust orange color. Never actually seen one of these for real.

Last edited:

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
My H. Gigas is a chocalte brown in normal light, the picture pretty much looks the exact same as she does in person except a little darker as the flash brightens her a little. They are a very nice looking T, I was very surprised when I pulled it out of the box it was shipped in.

peace

TheDon

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The colors range from rusty orange right before molting to jet black after molting. Here are some pictures so you can see the drastic color change.

The 1st picture is a few months before her molt. The rest are all after...