Do Homoeomma Chilensis Have Urticating Hairs?

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Google won't give me a simple answer. I have a chance to buy some, but if they have urticating hairs, I won't be interested. So naturally I'd like to know for sure, before I purchase. Thanks.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Google won't give me a simple answer. I have a chance to buy some, but if they have urticating hairs, I won't be interested. So naturally I'd like to know for sure, before I purchase. Thanks.
Someone here correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Homoemma genus in general possess Type I urticating hairs (the same hairs found on species like Aphonopelma chalcodes and Grammastola pulchra) I do know they are not very flicky and I haven't really ever heard of one even having a bald spot. For some reason I also noticed this lack of clarification when it comes to these species and their setae.

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Someone here correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Homoemma genus in general possess Type I urticating hairs (the same hairs found on species like Aphonopelma chalcodes and Grammastola pulchra) I do know they are not very flicky and I haven't really ever heard of one even having a bald spot. For some reason I also noticed this lack of clarification when it comes to these species and their setae.
They are an incredible species, and it is tempting, I am just too paranoid of those hairs. I know someone I got a snake from, who breeds T's for a living, and he says as time goes on his sensitivity got really bad, that just walking in the room with them triggers a reaction.

freedomisle

Arachnopeon
They are an incredible species, and it is tempting, I am just too paranoid of those hairs. I know someone I got a snake from, who breeds T's for a living, and he says as time goes on his sensitivity got really bad, that just walking in the room with them triggers a reaction.
I am very sensitive to urticating hairs. I have to wear gloves when doing any maintenance on my new worlds. Feels like I've been bitten by hundreds of mosquitos, itchy red bumps that take a week to go away. They always tend to stick in-between my fingers.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
They're a nice looking and very slow growing species that's not all that common to find. I'd go for it. If you have a reaction, you'd have no trouble selling them off.
Why limit yourself over a reaction you're not even sure you'd get?

Moroes

Arachnopeon
I am very sensitive to urticating hairs. I have to wear gloves when doing any maintenance on my new worlds. Feels like I've been bitten by hundreds of mosquitos, itchy red bumps that take a week to go away. They always tend to stick in-between my fingers.
Yeah, that would drive me insane lol.

They're a nice looking and very slow growing species that's not all that common to find. I'd go for it. If you have a reaction, you'd have no trouble selling them off.
Why limit yourself over a reaction you're not even sure you'd get?
It's the paranoia that I touch my face a lot, and if one of those hairs got in my eye, I'm in deep trouble. When I was told that hairs cannot be avoided 100% no matter how careful you are, and that they can easily suspend in the air, I got really turned off. It sucks, because there are some incredible species I would love to have, but I fear the few I've spoken to with experience may have fed my paranoia even more. I'm not 100% ruling out the possibility at some point, I just figure for my first T, I'd prefer something with no hairs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Most New World T's have Various "Types" of Urticating Hair.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
It's the paranoia that I touch my face a lot, and if one of those hairs got in my eye, I'm in deep trouble. When I was told that hairs cannot be avoided 100% no matter how careful you are, and that they can easily suspend in the air, I got really turned off. It sucks, because there are some incredible species I would love to have, but I fear the few I've spoken to with experience may have fed my paranoia even more. I'm not 100% ruling out the possibility at some point, I just figure for my first T, I'd prefer something with no hairs.
I had an initially similar concern as well.....
When I started to allow specimens with urticating hairs other than type 2 into my collection (5+ years after getting into the hobby I might add).
  • Expectation: I'm going to have to dress down in PPE looking like Walter White every time I open up these enclosures and I should still expect to get hit with them.
  • Reality: Why does my finger slightly itch? Oh, because I removed all the burrow spoil blocking the cross ventilation from the Aphonopelma sp Michoacán enclosure by hand while she just sat there and watched me from the mouth of her burrow. I should probably use gloves next time. Anyways, I wonder if she'll eat this month...
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/expectations-vs-reality.361444/post-3337169

You can't know how the hairs will effect you until you get haired, plain and simple. Everyone's reaction is a bit different, and while potential eye damage is a risk if you're not careful, most other symptoms are usually easily mitigated with OTC drugs.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Homoeomma spp. have types 3 and 4 as do Grammostola spp. Aphonopelma spp. have type 1 only.

cold blood

Staff member
They are an incredible species, and it is tempting, I am just too paranoid of those hairs.
if you can resist....

1. handling
2. Sticking your face in the enclosure and blowing
3. rubbing your hands in the substrate

you will probably never have an issue...you could have one for 3 decades and probably never see it flick hairs.....theyre a very docile species.

Hairs are not a good reason to avoid this particular species IMO....in fact avoiding them for this reason is almost laughable. JMO

Moroes

Arachnopeon
if you can resist....

1. handling
2. Sticking your face in the enclosure and blowing
3. rubbing your hands in the substrate

you will probably never have an issue...you could have one for 3 decades and probably never see it flick hairs.....theyre a very docile species.

Hairs are not a good reason to avoid this particular species IMO....in fact avoiding them for this reason is almost laughable. JMO
Yeah it's the whole I have 0 experience with T's and I want to be cautious. I plan on doing 0 handling. That's what my other pets are for. Definitely have no interest in sticking my face in their enclosure, let alone also blow in it lol. I would be wearing dishwashing gloves or nitrile gloves to spot clean in the enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah it's the whole I have 0 experience with T's and I want to be cautious. I plan on doing 0 handling. That's what my other pets are for. Definitely have no interest in sticking my face in their enclosure, let alone also blow in it lol. I would be wearing dishwashing gloves or nitrile gloves to spot clean in the enclosure.
spot cleaning should be done with a long tweezers/tongs...it should require no protection on your part.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
You haven't done any research if you're asking this question.

Do more research to know how to do rehouses with T's that possess UrS. Also the "what not to do" in not getting UrS on you, in your respiratory system and most importantly in your eyes. It's actually very easy to avoid UrS even when they kick.

H. chilensis is an expensive T nowadays unlike in the past. If you know nothing I urge you to halt on buying any T and do sufficient research.