Do centipedes hold onto infertile eggs?

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I just found my centipede holding a bunch of eggs. They're most likely infertile as she's probably one of my babies that has grown to adulthood as opposed to a wild caught juvenile or adult. So do centipedes hold onto infertile eggs? Also how long does it take to hatch if they were fertile? The species is Rhysida Longipes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know, but I can tell you how mine (a S.subspinipes) managed the whole story. I bought her as unsexed, and housed her here:

image_52036.jpg

After a couple of days she settled, and ate a good 3/4 adult B.dubia in the following weeks. Then, one day, she disappeared under that piece of cork bark on the right of the pic (the bigger one) where she made a burrow. I tought she wanted to burrow since she settled, or even a pre molt or else. She was gravid. She remained down under for almost more than a month, then one night had pedelings all over the place, escaping from the holes I've drilled... they were like brats that the parents doesn't have anymore control over into a toy mall, lol.

Ran

Arachnoknight
The mother will consume infertile eggs. I had a young 3" trignopodus that molted 3 times in my care then laid eggs...they made it to pedelings! Sold them all :)

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Chris' post
That's lucky you got a fertilized female when buying unsexed specimens! Haha I hope you managed to catch them all. Wouldn't want a find giant centipede loose in the house, especially a Subspinipes species.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
The mother will consume infertile eggs. I had a young 3" trignopodus that molted 3 times in my care then laid eggs...they made it to pedelings! Sold them all :)
That's good to hear. Hopefully I get a bunch of babies in the coming weeks!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's lucky you got a fertilized female when buying unsexed specimens! Haha I hope you managed to catch them all. Wouldn't want a find giant centipede loose in the house, especially a Subspinipes species.
Yes, they are now living in another house: packed and shipped within 5 days. 24 pedelings (one died, sadly) :-s