Do all Male Tarantulas have claws?

lizzietarantula

Arachnopeon
Hiya, I have two species that are ready to sex. I have posted pictures of their moults in the gallery for feedback. However I was wondering if all males develop claws? I have a Grammostola Rosea of about four inches that does not have any claws and a three and a half inch Brachypelma Smithi without them either. Would this be a reliable way to confirm that they are female? Thanks for your answers. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
About 2 dozen genera don't have male tibial spurs. The phrase 'hooked out' only applies to some species, and shouldn't be used across-the-board when males mature. When someone says that their Poec regalis has 'hooked out', it does not help their credibility.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
If you mean the claws on their toes, then you probably are not seeing them because they are some what retractable :)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also remember that tibial spurs don't visibly develop over time, they will just appear suddenly after the spider's ultimate moult. It's not like how humans grow into sexual maturity for example, it's an immediate transformation (visually speaking anyway)

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
True they just appear once fully mature/MM (unless confirmed male or female) many T's can look the same till maturity,, as mentioned, best to look in the molt/exo as 100% conformed (MM/MF)/male, female around 2"+ or post a good pic of the underside/vent shot so we can confirm it.