DKs, of course.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You need to start eliminating variables.
What about a different pet shop for starters?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's awful. Sorry to hear (and see) that. It must be one thing that all those tarantulas had in common. Having that happen from several different sources, while not impossible, seems very unlikely. I hope it is the crickets. Then you can eliminate them and never have this problem again!

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
Watching this video of what DKs looks like... the only thing that comes to my mind is a golden retriever we had some 6 years ago. The flailing about looks to me like that of a seizure. Is it possible that DKs is actually the result of inbreeding tarantulas over several generations? That is the only thing I can really conclude, it looks awfully neurological in nature, the poor spider cant even control its own movement.

If you consider the amount of breeders here in the united states and the genetic pool that is within the breeding circles, there is a very good chance that inbreeding is more prevalent than most would believe.

I buy a sling from guy X and mature it out.
I look for a mate to breed my mature spider with and find individual Y's spider.
Y was a mature male from a more recent clutch from the same female.

What are your thoughts fellow arachnoboards?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know that its most likely something that Im doing. I am switching my feeders to start with. No more pet store crickets.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear that.
I just picked up a 5" A.Metallica that Had/has a slight Case of DKS (I dont know how bad it was before I got it..)but It survived a molt and only shows a slight case of it. Hopefully your little guy pulls through.
I actually had an adult female G.rosea get this AFTER a molt. Two weeks after the molt, max. I was shocked because I had always heard that a molt will help. In this case the molt seemed to trigger it (maybe). I dont know, Im no scientist.

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Could my Ts get DKs because I feed them pet shop crickets? My parents won't let me have a small Dubia colony.
There is no known cause for DKS, it is just a matter of eliminating the possible variables. Most petshops are filled with unhealthy substances both organic and inorganic. Just try to aviod buying livestock there. Cricket source alternatives to petshops include online sellers such as Timberline and Flukers.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I found him dead today. I threw out the enclosure and put him in a vial of alcohol.

Shaka

Arachnopeon
What an absolute bummer man... really sad about this, didn't even know this DKS existed until I saw this post...

:(

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well Im changing feeders and where I get them from so I will see if that helps with anything. Im getting some roaches to start a colony.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope they work for you, Jake. Keep me posted on how they do, and if you need more, let me know. We've got a regular roach-ranch going over here, and I'm happy to share the wealth.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks again :) Im doing a bit of research and getting the bin ready for them. Hopefully I can get a decent colony started.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Condolences on the loss of your pets.:( I wish you luck in making your changes.:)

Just to clarify for those that are new....

DKS a.k.a. Dyskinetic Syndrome is not a specific disease, not all spiders that display these symptoms are experiencing them for the same reason. There are many possible causes that have been brought up and passed around, but since we don't have tarantula coroners to do autopsies on every T that dies with these similar symptoms; we will remain at that stage unfortunately.:(