DIY enclosure cautionary tale

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Let’s talk about waking up and finding your 6” Pamphobeteus plastered to the wall OUTSIDE of his enclosure.

I was expecting to wake up today and exercise, but what I did instead was wrangle Paladin Pop-Tart back into his enclosure while trying not to panic that he was just 3 feet above my cat and is not built for a fall like that, nor a battle with a 17lb cat.

How did he get out? Well, the lids of these crystal clear shoeboxes I’ve been using as DIY enclosures for the last 3 years don’t lock, and I never imagined that one of my tarantulas could powerlift the top off and slide it aside so they could get out, but that’s exactly what he did.
174773D4-7DC0-4DCE-B5B9-5FC326F42D0E.jpeg

So in case you’re thinking that you don’t need some sort of locking mechanism for your DIY enclosure, please learn with me that your tarantula can in fact escape them, and assume they will do it eventually.

Fortunately he’s fine, just a little upset. Sorry I failed you, little man.
37E0B12C-EBB9-483C-8D69-5C9D8AC8E014.jpeg

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw this flaw in these shoebox containers immediately. I recommend drilling a small hole all the way through at least two of the corners and sliding a cotter pin through to lock it in place. Glueing magnets around the lid is another option I’ve considered.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I saw this flaw in these shoebox containers immediately. I recommend drilling a small hole all the way through at least two of the corners and sliding a cotter pin through to lock it in place. Glueing magnets around the lid is another option I’ve considered.
That's my plan. I hope it works.

These lids are fairly heavy, so I'm shocked that he was able to not only lift it, but also move it aside. I'm glad this didn't end in tragedy for my guy here.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Too bad. Nice looking enclosures. Just looking at photos, I don't have a good feel for how hefty the lids are, but I might not have anticipated that problem either. Good luck with your remedy.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
There is a video on youtube where a B smithi (Annitha) lifts a glass door and escapes, so I'm pretty sure that your T did the same.

I'd use some magnetic latches or mechanical latches, since there is a possibility where the T can push the pin from the inside. You can bond two magnetic latches one on each side, so they can hold the lid pretty well and for cheap.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Thanks who whoever moved my thread. I completely forgot about the enclosures subforum. Sorry about that.

I'm looking at acrylic locking hasps and will probably order those. Alternatively, if I were to drill across a corner, I think a larger cotter pin would work well, and the T shouldn't be able to move it, but the locking hasps would be more secure imo.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
All these exotic means of securing your DIY enclosures. :eek: We used beanie babies containers for years and found out quickly after starting to use them that we needed a way to secure them. Never did more than putting a couple of rubber bands around the enclosures. :rofl: Did the job fine though :D

Glad to hear that no one was harmed in your T's escape attempt. :)

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Well we're sticking with Halloween ribbon for now so it's not that fancy yet lol

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I’m looking at acrylic hasps also to add extra security to the the ones I’d rather not have take unsupervised field trips.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not surprised at all based on what I’ve seen.

Never bet against Mother Nature ;)

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I just wanted to revisit this thread because after hemming and hawing over what I was going to do for a permanent solution, I just made straps out of small paracord bracelet fasteners and a ribbon.

I would have liked to have used a locking hasp, but they were all too large and unsightly, not to mention pricey. I bought some neodymium magnets to see if I would like that, but I could not figure out how to get them to sit in the very thin polystyrene plastic without breaking off.

After some time, I decided that the temporary solution (painter's tape) was uglier than just making a strap, so I bought bulk plastic fasteners from China and sewed a ribbon to them so that it pulls tight when I close it.
IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg
I could make it look nicer by using my sewing machine instead of hand stitching it and cover the stitches with bows or flowers or whatever if I want, but I think this is fine for now. Plus, I can re-use them with the Daiso/Container Store boxes interchangeably or salvage them for use with another container when the box develops a crack.

Thoughts?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Ummm you can pass four small screws from the holes and tight them with some nuts. Use the remaining screw head to fix it with some rubber bands. 2 screws at the box and 2 at the too lid. The rubber band will hold the lid making a 90 digree clamp.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Ummm you can pass four small screws from the holes and tight them with some nuts. Use the remaining screw head to fix it with some rubber bands. 2 screws at the box and 2 at the too lid. The rubber band will hold the lid making a 90 digree clamp.
Rubber bands get crusty and break. I also don't like how it looks.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I have aesthetic requirements! I don't want my T wall to look like it was thrown together by a six year old!

These ribbons are hard enough for me to deal with, but it's better than the painter's tape. That was starting to leave residue.

Everything is ugly and nothing is good enough!

Dorifto

He who moists xD

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
And something like this?

€ 7,18 36%OFF | Child Safety Strap Locks for Fridge Cabinets Drawers Dishwasher Self Adhesive No Drilling Security Lock Adjustable TS1

I'm pretty sure that we can find some more visually aesthetic ones
I actually considered something like that, but it's huge and ugly, not to mention expensive.

I want something small and unnoticeable! And I don't want to spend ten dollars on it!

The ribbon clamps will do for now.

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
Let’s talk about waking up and finding your 6” Pamphobeteus plastered to the wall OUTSIDE of his enclosure.

I was expecting to wake up today and exercise, but what I did instead was wrangle Paladin Pop-Tart back into his enclosure while trying not to panic that he was just 3 feet above my cat and is not built for a fall like that, nor a battle with a 17lb cat.

How did he get out? Well, the lids of these crystal clear shoeboxes I’ve been using as DIY enclosures for the last 3 years don’t lock, and I never imagined that one of my tarantulas could powerlift the top off and slide it aside so they could get out, but that’s exactly what he did.

I love his name so much. Paladin Pop-Tart is just the best thing ever. Also, I was wondering if he'd be a healer or a tank, but him lifting the lid like that clearly shows that the boy is a TANK.

The enclosure I bought my T in was sealed by velcro strips on the outside--the bottom part was like sticky tape, so it stuck to the outer side. Maybe that could work for you?

Clipboard01.png

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I love his name so much. Paladin Pop-Tart is just the best thing ever. Also, I was wondering if he'd be a healer or a tank, but him lifting the lid like that clearly shows that the boy is a TANK.

The enclosure I bought my T in was sealed by velcro strips on the outside--the bottom part was like sticky tape, so it stuck to the outer side. Maybe that could work for you?

View attachment 392435
It would work and I thought about it but it’s unattractive :/