Diving beetles

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got my water beetles from Carolina Biological today. They're cute little guys, only about 1/2" long. The species name is Colymbetus Fuscus.
I hope to post some pics later. My question is about breeding. I have my tank set up with anacharis, a few artificial plants and a sand bottom. Do I need to provide any land areas or plants that go above the water line for them to lay eggs on? I couldn't find much info about the species online and I know water beetles have different breeding requirements. I'm hoping someone here can give me some more info.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beetles...

Their grubs will most likely need some land to pupate in that is above the waterline.

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Colymbetes fuscus is a pretty common water beetle here in the UK. The females lay eggs in amongst water weed, so providing a small bit of plant material such as water moss will provide an oviposition site. The larvae will feed on invertebrate prey so give them things like mosquito larvae or cladocera of the appropriate size. The will need to pupate on land so when they are fully grown larvae thy will need some damp sand and a bit of wood to pupate under.

Matt