Discussion Thread for the Arachnoposters

Ron_K

Arachnopeon
Picture Size

You should make clear to those sending in pictures, that they will need to keep the original image at the max resolution and save a second copy at the required 1024 X 768. I have seen many people ruin a great shot by reducing the original pictures resolution to make a smaller file size. Once reduced there is no way to get the original quality back. In addition, unless their digital camera supports the Tiff (*.tif) file format there is no reason to convert to a tiff since the quality loss due to the jpeg compression has already occured. I just wanted to let new digital camera operators etc know some valuable information before they possible ruin what might be a great shot by reducing the quality such that it won't be suitable for poster size.

inked

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi,

i have a 3.2mp camera... and have some shots of Aussie slings and spiders i'd like to submit for the old world comp.. nothing to lose i figured so may as well..

just wondering though, as my slings live in mini terrarium type setups, all my sling pics have the enclosure somewhere showing, even if its a small bit.. it's easy to crop out but am i allowed to do this? rather then resizing to the 1028 pixels, could i crop a bit first if required, then reduce to the right size? i certainly won't be enlarging any to get to the 1028pixel size... i don't think this will ruin the quality at all but just checking officially..

thanks

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why 1024x748???

I can send a 3200x2400 or 2560x1920 in tiff. Or did I get it wrong and you only want the 1024 in the e-mail and then you'll ask for the big one??

Only T's huh? That means I can't participate with my winning wolf-spider :$

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Sorry about that all, I meant to put "a minimum" of 1024 x 768. I have since fixed the rules to reflect that. If you camera can handle larger resolutions, then by all means send them at the higher resolutions. Cropping your picture is also fine

Scott

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Is this for the next calander? I really am gonna try to take some decent pics!

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
MrFeexit said:
Is this for the next calander? I really am gonna try to take some decent pics!
This year it is two posters instead of the calendar [one for New World tarantulas and a second for Old World Ts]. Scott needs to edit his thread starter title to mention that. His other postings mentioning the poster contest link to this thread, but if you just hit on this thread without seeing the main contest post I can see how you wouldn't know that the photo contest is for posters.

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
SpiderShoppe said:
Scott needs to edit his thread starter title to mention that. His other postings mentioning the poster contest link to this thread, but if you just hit on this thread without seeing the main contest post I can see how you wouldn't know that the photo contest is for posters.
Thanks Michael. :)

Done deal, sorry about that.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I would just like to say BOOOO! for no scorpion pictures. ;) Now to get to work photographing some of my tarantulas.

Cheers,
Dave

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
I would just like to say BOOOO! for no scorpion pictures. ;) Now to get to work photographing some of my tarantulas.

Cheers,
Dave
Well, hopefully the membership will support the posters better than they did the calendars so there will be a series of them with scorps next. The calendars were first rate and I am sure the posters will be too. With 2500+ members let's see some great entries and great sales after the fact. MJ

Maikardaaion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How many pictures is one mamber allow do send then ?? I read the rules but I still can't get it :) :?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Same as the amount of licks it takes to get to the creamy center of a Tootsie Pop: One, Two..... Thrrrrreeee!!! (3, right?)

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
I got 6. 3 Old World, and 3 New. Is that right?

Also, will the judging be done "blind?"

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Maikardaaion said:
How many pictures is one mamber allow do send then ?? I read the rules but I still can't get it :) :?

Each member is allowed a maximum of 3 for old world and 3 for new world, for a total of 6 pictures.

Hope that helps. :)

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Mr. Rourke said:
I got 6. 3 Old World, and 3 New. Is that right?

Also, will the judging be done "blind?"
Yep and not sure exactly what you mean by "blind"?

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Arachnoboards said:
Yep and not sure exactly what you mean by "blind"?
I mean: Will the judges, when considering the pics, be consciously possessed of the knowledge of the individual photographers' identities?

For example, if they happen to know me, and find me crass, foolish, or annoying, will that become a de facto disqualification of my submission? Not that any reasonable person would find MY character to harbor any of those qualities..... :D

Obviously it could work the other way, too. Like Rick West's nephew, or best buddy or dog groomer could win......see what I mean?

However, I asked the question idly, irresponsibly, in fact. The "appearance of impropriety" (should it arise) surrounding an Arachnoboards photo contest seems a fairly small concern in today's troubled world. So feel free to forget I ever said anything. If you can....

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Mr. Rourke said:
I mean: Will the judges, when considering the pics, be consciously possessed of the knowledge of the individual photographers' identities?

For example, if they happen to know me, and find me crass, foolish, or annoying, will that become a de facto disqualification of my submission? Not that any reasonable person would find MY character to harbor any of those qualities..... :D

Obviously it could work the other way, too. Like Rick West's nephew, or best buddy or dog groomer could win......see what I mean?

However, I asked the question idly, irresponsibly, in fact. The "appearance of impropriety" (should it arise) surrounding an Arachnoboards photo contest seems a fairly small concern in today's troubled world. So feel free to forget I ever said anything. If you can....
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

The judges will be judging based solely on the quality and clarity of the picture, nothing else. So basically, your identities mean absolutely nothing to them. ;P

As long as you take a good picture (following within the guidelines of the rules) and the judges pick you as one of the winners, your pic will go in. Simple enough? ;)

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. :)

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, do the winners of the last contest deserve two posters??

;P

That would be the only way to get them this time I'm afraid.
How the heck could I compete with the metallica guys??
I'll have to look into pay-pal.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
genious_gr said:
That would be the only way to get them this time I'm afraid.
How the heck could I compete with the metallica guys??
eh enter the new world contest?