Directions for rehousing s'ling too big for vial

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
So this stuff just breaks off in chunks? We don't have PetCo here... at least not that I know of.

kellygirl
In the thinner spots and when you are working with large pieces, you can break it. Otherwise, you might need a small saw.

Jon

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
So this stuff just breaks off in chunks? We don't have PetCo here... at least not that I know of.

kellygirl
Cork bark is used in growing orchids. You might check out a nursery or serious garden shop.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kelly-

Click here

One of the cheapest places to buy it. (You'll ALWAYS pay more if you buy it from a petstore. If you can avoid buying stuff from petstores, do it. (Example: Dome lights at petstores: ~$10 - 15. Dome lights from the hardware area in Wal Mart: ~$5 - $6) Same thing, just petstores think they can charge more when someone smart can go and get the same stuff for half the price from any other retail store.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone! Sorry, BD... didn't mean to make your thread go on a tangent. I do love your setup ideas. You've inspired me so much that tomorrow I'm making a run to Michael's to see what I can find! :)

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
(You'll ALWAYS pay more if you buy it from a petstore.
Ain't that the truth!? Hey, thanks for the link to that site. I will definitely be ordering from them! My tarantulas would thank you if they could, no doubt. ;)

One more question... what are the downsides to cork bark? For some reason, I feel like I've heard something about it getting moldy...?

kellygirl

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
KG, corkbark doesn't mold, that I've seen. I use it in almost all my setups, except where I use wine corks for the slings :)
BD, what kind of store is Michaels? I wonder if we have them in Oregon, because I've never seen them, and I want some!
Great arboreal idea for sure!
Holley

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
KG, corkbark doesn't mold, that I've seen. I use it in almost all my setups, except where I use wine corks for the slings :)
BD, what kind of store is Michaels? I wonder if we have them in Oregon, because I've never seen them, and I want some!
Great arboreal idea for sure!
Holley
Micheals is a hobby store very similar to Hobby Lobby.

Jon

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Let me know if you find it, BD -- I went to Hobby Lobby AND Micheals and never found it, maybe I just didn't look in the right place.

I've read ONE report of cork bark got moldy, but the vast majority of people say it doesn't, so it must have been a freak thing.

It COULD have juts been stuff on the cork bark -- cricket parts or something. A lot of stuff molds easily, I wouldn't be suprised if it some how got something moldable on it.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they sell cork bark in expensive chunks here at PetSmart.....they also sell little "Beta Pals" for $1.99 that is like a little round pet pal for a beta fish.....looks like it would be great for a sling vented top with little opening vented lid...about the same size as the acrylic enclosure Big Dragonfly made....they also sell at petsmart and walmart a very small petpal/kritter keeper that is like 6" x 5" or so for $2.99 at both places........just F.Y.I.