Diplocentrus spray!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw it. Is this nothing new? I've mentioned to a few people that the Diplocentrus scorpions I've caught, smell bad. I started playing around with one today to see if I could figure out what was going on. Today I picked one up in front of a window by it's tail with the sun coming in. It sprayed a fluid, probably venom, well over 6 inches! After the spray stream was out of the sunlight, I couldn't see how far it went so I don't really know how far it sprayed. A lot of it got on my other fingers. To me it smells a little like a dead animal and a stinkbug mix. But the smell isn't strong. It was a very, very thin stream and lasted surprisingly long but less than a second. I've got 4 (I believe D. lindo) and all are out of ammo right now so it will be a while before I will try it again. I don't feel like I should say this right now but I will anyway. It looked like it came from the sub-aculear tubercle. But that might be what I WANTED to see. Someone would have to have looked into that already so that shouldn't be the case. Anybody else notice anything like this with their Diplocentrus scorps? I first experienced it with D. whitei over 15 years ago and have always wondered what was going on.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've also witnessed venom spray, and it wont be from the subaculear tubercle.