Dingos

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Daly river, outside Darwin. Sunset, in a boat drifting down the river silently. We had to sit absolutely still which was agonizing with 150,000,000 mosquitos per cubic meter of air.

Two dingos come down to the river and drink. Three more appeared by magic nearby. Watching the first two I never saw them come down the bank. More are up at the top of the bank.

Three of them start playing. One suddenly goes straight up into the air in a leap that would have made a gazelle apply for retirement. It's feet were easily 5 feet in the air without a preliminary run. About a minute later one suddenly dashes through a group of several others. Two take off after it. A whippet wouldn't have stood a chance in that dash. Wild yips, completely un-dog like, their noises. Indescribable. An eerie primal sound that tends to give you goosebumps when out in the wilds. Similar to cougar 'screams' in a canine way.

And then the whole group vanishes in about 1 second.

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All of the dogs in this remarkable family are capable of producing some of the most spine-chilling sounds ever, very un-doglike noises that belong in some horror movie. Dr. Bryan Frye once kept a trio of Dingoes, which he described as "dog-shaped wildcats", and that is exactly how I have described them and their larger relatives. I even had one of my parents' neighbors literally mistake one of my brindle Akitas, which I was walking on a leash, for some sort of cat, because they don't even move like dogs. This is the same Akita that could climb a 60-ft. pine tree, straight up, to nab squirrels on their own turf, and get down from the tree by turning around on the trunk and leaping some 20 feet to the roof of the house, and then simply jumped from the roof to the ground, landing on his feet every time.

The Snark

Old Timer
All of the dogs in this remarkable family are capable of producing some of the most spine-chilling sounds ever, very un-doglike noises that belong in some horror movie. Dr. Bryan Frye once kept a trio of Dingoes, which he described as "dog-shaped wildcats", and that is exactly how I have described them and their larger relatives. I even had one of my parents' neighbors literally mistake one of my brindle Akitas, which I was walking on a leash, for some sort of cat, because they don't even move like dogs. This is the same Akita that could climb a 60-ft. pine tree, straight up, to nab squirrels on their own turf, and get down from the tree by turning around on the trunk and leaping some 20 feet to the roof of the house, and then simply jumped from the roof to the ground, landing on his feet every time.
I never even thought about that but upon reflection, exactly. My Akita didn't 'dog walk', he prowled. Exactly like the big cats. That careful methodical placing it's forefeet on the ground with each step as opposed to trotting about dog style.
I've seached all over the net. Can't find anything on the sounds Dingos make. It would make a very interesting audio file: Guess what animal made these noises?

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
didnt think Akitas were capable of that, very cool

The Snark, it will be very cool youtube and sound file, now,,,it is up to you capture that I would love to see it and hear it.

apparently if its not recorded on youtube or facebook nobody will believe you these days hahahah

The Snark

Old Timer
didnt think Akitas were capable of that, very cool

The Snark, it will be very cool youtube and sound file, now,,,it is up to you capture that I would love to see it and hear it.

apparently if its not recorded on youtube or facebook nobody will believe you these days hahahah
I'm still looking.
Right. In the world of Photoshop, computer modeling, CGI, and a hand held electronic object replacing the frontal lobes, who needs critical thinking?

The Snark

Old Timer
Not dingoes, but singing dogs are closely related and sound pretty otherworldly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt6-gygNcaw
Very similar to dingo songs. If heard out in the open that might be about what I was hearing. I need PBL to fill in the blanks but the New Guinea dog is on the land bridge of the Asian wolf to Aus Dingo connection. I suspect they are from the return trip as the animals made their way up into Asia.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very similar to dingo songs. If heard out in the open that might be about what I was hearing. I need PBL to fill in the blanks but the New Guinea dog is on the land bridge of the Asian wolf to Aus Dingo connection. I suspect they are from the return trip as the animals made their way up into Asia.
Singers do appear to be an older breed than the Dingo in Australia, suggesting that the Southeast Asian people who traversed the Indian Ocean made it to New Guinea before Australia, and moved into Australia from that island. Most-recent DNA studies of Australian Dingoes shows them to be different from the Asian wolves, however, and many taxonomists now classify them as a unique species of canine. There is some indication that one of the primary ancestors of these dogs may have been a species of wolf that no longer exists, one with a very different social structure from most modern wolves and dogs, which would explain why dogs like the Dingo, Akita and Jindo are so different from all other canines.

The Snark

Old Timer
Assuming the Dingo followed the same general lines of the aborigines, they then pre-date all other known canine archetypes presently on the planet, hailing from the Denisovan era? IE Dingo ancestors may have sang to the Neanderthals up in Siberia. The singers being the ancestors of the Dingo? (40,000+ years back.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denisovan#/media/File:Spread_and_evolution_of_Denisovans.jpg

This then moves the Asian wolf as migratory from the African continent. A single origin species, if there was one, is entirely unknown. ???

One question comes to mind. Did the ancestors of the 'singing' canine interbreed with the Asian wolf, producing the Akita/Chow/Jindo strain apart from the Dingo. Where we have two very different sub species that developed along separate time lines and locations. ???

Last edited: