Digging a burrow

sciteach

Arachnopeon
I just bought a curly hair tarantula today. Tonight it is already digging a burrow. I never saw this before, it is picking up the soil a carrying it to the far side of the tank. Is this normal behavior? I've never seen it before, but I only have 4 T's so far.
Mike

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yes.
Burrowers can be regular little bulldozers.
It's very normal.

Congrates on your new pet and welcome. :)

sciteach

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the welcome. I have other t's that dig out a burrow I have started, but I never saw one carry the soil. I thought they just kick it around like a dog.
Mike

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yea my Geniculata been doing it today think shes finally finished its very interested to watch ^_^

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My curly hair sling as always dug a burrow behind her/his half flower pot and she always puts the soil into the flower pot at the front untill its full.
She as done this every time I have moved her (3 times) and always the same method.
Chid

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Burrows

I love burrows. They are so fun to watch when being made and look cool as well.

Attachments

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love it when you can see into their burrows. RIght now my C paganus and C brachycephalus have great burrows that i can look right into. I love it.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I love to watch them make their burrows. Amazing how much substrate they can fit into their fangs!
They are super engineers :)

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
I love it when you can see into their burrows. RIght now my C paganus and C brachycephalus have great burrows that i can look right into. I love it.
effing sicko!!!! i bet you do that to your neighbors too!!

no but really i think that is neat too...especially if the spider stays in the burrow for very long periods of time.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by sciteach
Thanks for the welcome. I have other t's that dig out a burrow I have started, but I never saw one carry the soil. I thought they just kick it around like a dog.
Mike
I think the lividum (cobalt) just kick soil up. That's why their burrows look like volcanoes. My other burrowing tarantulas carry the dirt to another part of the cage, usually the water dish.