Different kinds of Widows

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
I would really like to get a few widows, but after looking around a bit, I find that there are brown and red widows that are gorgeous. So my question is this: are they different in their care?

Also, I have noticed there are not nearly as many that I have found listed for sale, and they are quite a bit more expensive. Are they very rare? What would you consider to be a reasonable price range for the black, brown and red?

Thanks!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I would really like to get a few widows, but after looking around a bit, I find that there are brown and red widows that are gorgeous. So my question is this: are they different in their care?

Also, I have noticed there are not nearly as many that I have found listed for sale, and they are quite a bit more expensive. Are they very rare? What would you consider to be a reasonable price range for the black, brown and red?

Thanks!
well, there are 5 species in the USA native. the red widow (bishopi), the brown widow (geometricus), and the 3 black widows, which you are probably familiar with: the northern (variolus), the southern (mactans), and the western (hesperus). they should all be pretty similar in care, nothing too special. personally, i would keep bishopi a little more on the humid side since they are from florida. they are not too rare (bishopi being the exception) and should not be too expensive. reasonable prices (IMO): red: $20-25 brown: $10-15 black: $10-15. but those are all IMO, so take that however you want. you will find some for more or less, but those are roughly what you will find.

they are my favorite pet ever btw... ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
red are not easy to care for, from what i have gathered

you can probably get them to eat and all... but it seems like mating and actually getting viables otu of them is pretty tough in cap

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
ha. that won't be a problem, the thought of having jillions of minuscule slings to contend with is not my idea of fun;)
yet....

red are not easy to care for, from what i have gathered

you can probably get them to eat and all... but it seems like mating and actually getting viables otu of them is pretty tough in cap

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well... reds are sort of like, not endangered but very rare... so it might be best to let ppl try to figure out how to breed them in cap before buying them up for non-breeding purposes