Different Hissers

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody keeps any of the other hisser types or species like :
G. portentosa (Giant stock)
G. portentosa (Black Stock)
"Vanwaerebeki" (aka Princisia vanwaerebeki)
G. grandidieri (Tiger Hisser)
Elliptorhina sp. (V-horn hisser)

If you do, do they behave any differently from normal G. portentosa? How about breeding, have you had luck? I would love to see some pictures if anybody has some to post.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty new to Hissers but I'll at least post some pics. Here are two males I have that came from diff people. How big do the "giants" get?

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Thanks for posting the pic! I almost forgot how amazing those critters are. Ive kept the normal G. portentosa but never any of the more unusual hissers. Its been about a year with out any hissers and I miss them.
The hissers in your pic are the normal type right?
As for size, Big normal hissers are supposed to max out at 65mm. The Giant stock is supposed to max out around 80mm and be built real bulky with thick legs.
I wonder if anybody has any pics of the more unusual hissers to post. Please add them to this listing if you do !! :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know if these two are the "normal" type. Pretty sure they are but I don't know. They are some of the first Hissers I've ever had. I had a few and saw some really big ones in a local pet store, bigger than any of the few I had anyway, so I bought a few of those. They were selling them for only $1.50. One of those is the bigger one you see in the pic. Yea I'd like to see some unusual pics too, esp of some bigger ones:drool: .

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are two adult male G. portentosa, one is regular and one is giant.

G. portentosa black morph.

Princisia vanwaerebecki has three different morphs:

P. vanwaerebecki "big"

P. vanwaerebecki "black"

P. vanwaerebecki "black and white." This is the one known as tiger hissers. They're often incorrectly labeled as G. grandidieri.

G. oblongonata

Same roach in my hand

E. chopardi, dwarf hisser

<3 hissers

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
xelda, Thank you so much for posting those pics! It’s amazing to see them all together! I never knew that Princisia vanwaerebecki had three different types! I have not heard much about G. oblongonata, what are its main characteristics that make it different from the rest? It seems to be huge with little points on the "horns".
As for G. grandidieri, does that really exists or is it just the striped form of Princisia vanwaerebecki?
Do you know if any other species or morphs of hissers exist? I don’t think I saw the Elliptorhina sp (v-horn) in your pics.
Thanks for the post! Your hissers truly are amazing!!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah thanks for those pics! I didn't know there are so many diff kinds out there.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Acro, yes there are other hisser species that exist but unfortunately I don't own them all. :( There are only a few more circulating the pet trade (including the true G. grandidieri), but I bet that there are still some in Madagascar that haven't been described yet.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Yes I am sure there are pleanty more in Madagascar that are yet to be discovered. But how about ones i the "hobby"? Can you name any more? Anybody know of more? I would love to see pictures of the "V-horn" hisser. Xelda, can you tell me what the main characteristics of G. oblongonata are, that make it different from other species of hissers? It seems to be huge with little points on the "horns". How many MM does it max out at?

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
G.grandideri or P. vanwaerebecki "black and white"

Hey Xelda...or anybody else,

The tiger hissers emeraldexotics.net has are labled as G.grandideri. Are those the true G.grandideri, or they the P. vanwaerebecki "black and white" ?

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Acro - The owner of Emerald Exotics is actually a very close friend of mine. The ones he has are Princisia vanwaerebecki "black and white." His colony of tigers produced one roach that matured to look like P. vanwaerebecki "big" which adds further support to their being morphs of the same species. The real G. grandidieri look different from any Princisia spp. since they lack the red/orange border along the sides.