Differences in Pinktoes

Megan 03

Arachnopeon
I ordered a pink toe tarantula from my local pet store, the store's supplier had no pink toes in stock but they did have a metallic pink toe at a higher price. Can someone explain the differences between the common pink toe tarantula and the metallic pink toe?

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Look up Avicularia avicularia(pink toe) and Avicularia metallica(metallic pink toe).

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A metallica are a much larger bodied T, have silver/grey setae versus the redish setae in the A avi, and the A met tends to have a green/greyish hue to the carcapace. the A avi tends to have a black carcapace.

A metallica

A avicularia (bad pic, but shows difference in color of setae)

PIG-

Megan 03

Arachnopeon
thanks so much, I was a little confused. The pics and your discription are helpful and appreciated

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A.metallica is a huge girl.. Easily bigger than my hand(my hands aren't that big, but still), She's the biggest Avic I've seen IRL! And very pretty too.. I doubt that she's a "pure" hobby metallica, as she has some pink hairs, rather than red(they look more orange in the pics, but they really are hot pink) My A.avic is pretty blue, but smaller than the metallica. Allthough, judging by their appearance, they might both be a.avic x a.metallica hybrids, because they share alot of features.. But I will probably never know for sure. All I know is that they're pretty, and with Avics, you can NEVER go wrong!

Here they are, in all their glory;

A.metallica

A.avicularia

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Warpig, i have been guessing what sp of avic my avic is.
And I swear I think mine and your metallica are twins!!

IT looks exactly like my storebought "avic avic".

Abra yours kind of looks like a huriana x avic avic

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's not. It's not a deliberate hybrid if it is one, and hurianas and metallicas are waay to different to make that mistake.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was also wondering about that. That metallica looks NOTHING like the ones we have or have seen.Maybe it is the pic,but there is a serious lack of whitish setea(or however thats spelled,you guys get the idea)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She has some white ones, and some pink ones. You can see it in the pic too, so take a closer look.

That's why I said shes most likely a hybrid..

Also, my point with showing those was that a "metallica" isn't necessarely a metallica, nor an a.avicularia.. There are alot of confusion goin on between the two, especially in petshops..

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Its Avicularia cf. metallica:) There are 2 variations in the hobby

Avicularia cf. metallica "Cayenne, French Guyana" and Avicularia cf. metallica "Surinam" witch is probably the real one with complete black abdomen without any reddish hairs.

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A metallica are a much larger bodied T, have silver/grey setae versus the redish setae in the A avi, and the A met tends to have a green/greyish hue to the carcapace. the A avi tends to have a black carcapace.
PIG-
Not true. A. avicularia have a blue/green carapace as well. The only difference is size, the lack of red setae on the abdomen (on adults), and I find that A. metallica are always a bit "fuzzier" .

This is a picture of my A. avicularia that I raised from a sling:

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She has some white ones, and some pink ones. You can see it in the pic too, so take a closer look.

That's why I said shes most likely a hybrid..

Also, my point with showing those was that a "metallica" isn't necessarely a metallica, nor an a.avicularia.. There are alot of confusion goin on between the two, especially in petshops..
Have you read Phalagorns Avicularia spp. article?