Differences between Phormingochilus everetti & Omothymus schioedtei???

xiaoentheshawn

Arachnopeon
//
Greetings.
Anyone can explain what's the differences in between Phormingochilus everetti & Omothymus schioedtei? Mind to share some pics of these beautiful Asian arboreal? Thank you so much peeps :) appreciated.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Hi.

O. schioedtei is now Cyriopagopus schioedtei.

They are different species and are different in appearance. Particularly in the colouration of the legs. If you google the names image search you will see the aesthetic differences.

They grow quite large and are kept fairly the same too. Im not too knowledgeable of the genus.

xiaoentheshawn

Arachnopeon
Hi.

O. schioedtei is now Cyriopagopus schioedtei.

They are different species and are different in appearance. Particularly in the colouration of the legs. If you google the names image search you will see the aesthetic differences.

They grow quite large and are kept fairly the same too. Im not too knowledgeable of the genus.
Hi, i though they are now Omothymus schioedtei? Changed this name from previous Cyriopagopus? Anyway, it's not that much infos about these two species in google so, hmm just waiting for someone who could give provide an answer or even some pics.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Hi, i though they are now Omothymus schioedtei? Changed this name from previous Cyriopagopus? Anyway, it's not that much infos about these two species in google so, hmm just waiting for someone who could give provide an answer or even some pics.
You are correct, before the lastest revision they were Cyriopagopus schioedeti. Now they are listed under Omothymus by the WSC.
Try using the search function on here, many pics have been uploaded by members of the two species or try looking in the genus threads stickied in the "Tarantula Pictures" section. I don't think you'll have much luck here on this thread as it's already been a few days without help.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
//
Greetings.
Anyone can explain what's the differences in between Phormingochilus everetti & Omothymus schioedtei? Mind to share some pics of these beautiful Asian arboreal? Thank you so much peeps :) appreciated.
I haven't seen either in person

cold blood

Staff member

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everetti rarer? Not so sure. I see a lot of them for sale through lots of vendors. I just think theyre not as sought after.. not that schioedtei are too high in demand either compared to poeci or avics and such.

And while schioedtei tend to be pet holes ive had a few who were very active. One of my current females is out in the open 24/7 in plain view, while her sister has never been seen

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You are correct, before the lastest revision they were Cyriopagopus schioedeti. Now they are listed under Omothymus by the WSC.
Try using the search function on here, many pics have been uploaded by members of the two species or try looking in the genus threads stickied in the "Tarantula Pictures" section. I don't think you'll have much luck here on this thread as it's already been a few days without help.
One thing id like to knowabout everetti is adult size range. Ive got plans of aquiring sime rufus but am a bit disappointed they only hit around 4". Do everetti get larger?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. everetti is a lot newer to the hobby, they only became available in the US a few short years ago. There are differences in the coloration with P. everetti being paler with hints of orange and purple, and O. schioedtei gets a bit maybe an inch or so larger. And of course there are other nuanced anatomical differences which are why they're in different genera.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Phormingochilus everetti is rarer in the hobby compared to Omothymus schioedtei in Europe too. 2cm DLS P. everetti slings fetching around £25 and O. schioedtei fetching only £8 here in UK.

I dont know much about Omothymus. After revisions is Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati now known as Omothymus sp. hati hati?

Both P. everetti and O. schioedtei are very nice looking species.

Here are a couple of my specimens for visual ref-

P. everetti

Adult female
IMG_5135.JPG

Juvenile female
IMG_5134.JPG

Omothymus schioedtei
Juvenile female
IMG_5132.JPG

@grayzone everetti will grow to roughly 7-8.5"

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@grayzone everetti will grow to roughly 7-8.5"
Well that seals the deal for me. Ive always liked everetti and now that i have rufus i need to pick some up. Im not a fan of carpenteri so i guess ill just keep the two from the genus

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Well that seals the deal for me. Ive always liked everetti and now that i have rufus i need to pick some up. Im not a fan of carpenteri so i guess ill just keep the two from the genus
Are you sure?! P. carpenteri is a beauty. The largest too. I have a 4" female and she is gorgeous. The only down side is that I barely see her unless looking down her hide.

The only sighting of 2017 -
View media item 42006 :rofl: