difference?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do male and female Usambar Baboons look different from one another? Can someone post clear pictures of them from top view for me please? Thanks!

kellygirl

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The male has very well defined pedipalps and tibial hooks. Scott has posted pictures in the gallery.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what about coloration? are all usambars bright orange? are there some that are grayer? if not, is there a species that looks similar but with a grayish-green coloration? i'm trying to figure out which species the "stripe-knee" is at the local pet store. it certainly isnt a stripe-knee.

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok, i think i found a pic of the spider i saw in the store:

http://tarantulasmadeeasy.freewebspace.com/P.murinus.htm

i'm kind of confused about usambars... and i've never heard of a mombassa golden starburst. now i've seen some discussion on the latin name for usambars before. what was the conclusion? is the correct name for this spider usambar baboon? is the correct latin name for usambar baboon "Pterinochilus murinus" or is it "Pterinochilus sp."?

is this pic a male or female or can you not tell from this pic?

how much would be a reasonable price in a pet store for this T?

sorry, i dont know much about old world species...

kellygirl

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus is the Mobassa GOlder Starburst and the picture that you have posted is one of these beautiful spiders. The Usumbura is also calle P murinus. It is a color morph of the Mobassa that is found in the Usumbara mountains.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok... so what should it be labelled (if it looks like the one in the picture)? how much is it worth, typically?

kellygirl

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Since the change in official status for the Usambara came recently, I don't know if there's an official way to distinguish between the two.

It will be something like this, though:
Pterinichilus murinus "Golden Starbust" form
Pterinichilus murinus "Usambara" form

The gold form is less common in the trade but doesn't fetch any more than an Usambara.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To my knowledge the 'golden starburst' form is called P. murinus, and the 'usumbara' form is named P. murinus RCF (Red Colour Form)