Difference between Florida and Haiti S.alterans?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What are the major differences between Florida and Haiti Alterans?Such as potency,size,color,care,etc.Thanks!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
The one from haiti grows much bigger.
I'm not sure if that is true...

The only difference I know of is that the Haiti alternans is striped and the Florida alternans is plain orange. I think venom is pretty much the same between both. Read bite reports...it ain't pretty:barf:...

--Dan

Xenomorph

Arachnosquire
Hello,

Taxonomically, the animals are almost all equal,but genetics is a difference.

cheer

Mez

Arachnoknight

The only difference I know of is that the Haiti alternans is striped and the Florida alternans is plain orange. I think venom is pretty much the same between both. Read bite reports...it ain't pretty:barf:...

--Dan
Damn, i wish id have known that, i presumed my florida alternans would develop its bands with age. Its about 5" now, still that rusty colour, and its going to stay like that? Sheesh. Oh well, hopefully it might at least eat prey in front of me as it gets older.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I actually prefer the FL alternans. Haiti alternans looks like a big polymorpha to me:cool:.

--Dan

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had several of each. The florida keys are smaller the biggest I've seen was about 6". The haitian gets to around 8" and are heavier. The keys stay the bright orangey color which I find much more attractive than the darker banded haitian. They are both in my experience pretty shy. I've never read a bite report for a keys but, the few a read for the haitian were pretty bad even bites from small ones. Hope that helps

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ Xenomorph:

A species is defined through the taxonomical characters and the genetic informations. Both can vary within a species but only in a range as it is fixed in the first description.

So it is wrong to say, that the taxonomical characters are the same but the genetics are different.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

--Dan
That's the main thing I was looking to see...

Thanks everybody for their inputs!I appreciate it.I have decided against this species though.Thanks anyway.