Did I doom my T?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I just transferred my 2" B. smithi into an exo terra breeder box. Unfortunately, I didn't look close enough at it before I started to transfer it. It is looking pretty dark and close to a molt. I would expect it within the next 2 weeks I think. Is this move going to interfere with the molt? Ive heard stories of T's molting while in transit after being sold, so I am hoping nothing bad will come of this. I didn't notice any webbing to speak of, and I coaxed it into my hand with a few gently touches with a brush. I also have a G. pulchripes the same size that molted about a week ago, and I have a new breeder box for it as well. . Should I move it before or after it eats it's first meal?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It shouldn't be a problem, don't worry. :) It is far worse to interfere during a molt (as you know), or before they have hardened afterwards. I have had slings sent to me that have molted in transit and been just fine. The problem with that, most of the time, is that they don't have the same space as they would in their regular enclosures. In the cramped conditions, they can have a harder time freeing their exuvia and end up hardening stuck or with funny legs etc. Of course, any rough handling by the postal workers can't be good at that time either, but you were nice and gentle so the situation isn't comparable. Just do all your normal pre-molt stuff, no food, nice full water dish etc. and I'm sure all will be well.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Oh, and with your pulchripes, when it is ready to eat, it is ready to move. Basically you are just waiting for both for the tarantula to stretch itself, recover and harden up.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It shouldn't be a problem, don't worry. :) It is far worse to interfere during a molt (as you know), or before they have hardened afterwards. I have had slings sent to me that have molted in transit and been just fine. The problem with that, most of the time, is that they don't have the same space as they would in their regular enclosures. In the cramped conditions, they can have a harder time freeing their exuvia and end up hardening stuck or with funny legs etc. Of course, any rough handling by the postal workers can't be good at that time either, but you were nice and gentle so the situation isn't comparable. Just do all your normal pre-molt stuff, no food, nice full water dish etc. and I'm sure all will be well.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Oh, and with your pulchripes, when it is ready to eat, it is ready to move. Basically you are just waiting for both for the tarantula to stretch itself, recover and harden up.

Thanks Knightingale! I am so paranoid about my pets sometimes. I don't want anything bad to happen because of me. I know the breeder box is larger than needed for now, but I know my T's will be able to live in them for awhile, and they look nice :). I also want to transfer my B. vagans to a breeder box, but I am not sure how to get it out of it's burrow. It isn't premolt, but I don't want to crush it getting it out either.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've done that and they were fine. I really see nothing to worry about. :)