Did anyone see this ad?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
People are a little insane in their pricing on these as it's been so long since peru was open, that you can never find them on the market anymore. Only if someone is selling a long term captive. That's probably why it was going for so much. Personally, I couldn't see spending that much on any invert unless I was opening an invert zoo or something and needed a big display piece right then and there. Funny thing is I was at that show and was by his table and there was no sign of that pede being there. I would've remembered.....

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep. The price on those guys is exactly why I'll probably never have a Peruvian Giant in my collection. I hope Tim successfully breeds them someday though. That's pretty much my only hope of getting one.

Atrax

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Compared with what goes on in the herp world, inverts are still real cheap. I used to work for a high-end reptile breeder and $400 for an animal would have been a mid-range price for our list!

Still, though, I'd be scared to death that it was an older animal nearing the end of it's life span.

Wade

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah... unfortunately, it's worth however much they feel like charging for it. Unless you can find a comparable specimen cheaper somewhere else, the "laws" of free market basically way that they can charge whatever they want, and not be "overpriced", because there is no price they're going over. There are maybe a half dozen of these animals available every year, maybe less, and they're either long-terms or illegal exports. So, $400 is more than reasonable if you ask me...

Ditto Wade's fears on the end of lifespan... although 11" doesn't seem like he'd be croaking anytime soon... doesn't sound quite full-grown if it's a true robusta :D

(in case you didn't get the joke, no one really knows what a true robusta is anymore... :p)

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, maybe I should tack another zero onto the price of my Peruvian yellow-green millis before I sell or trade them. ;)